Women’s Basketball: Moseley named Boston University head coach

0
0
exc-5ad6a204575d1f7b2e168ff0

UConn assistant coach Marisa Moseley will be moving to Boston University as head coach. (Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

Marisa Moseley, an assistant coach for the UConn women’s basketball team, was named head coach for Boston University Tuesday. Moseley spent the last nine seasons on the Huskies bench.

A 2004 graduate of Boston University, Moseley will return to her alma mater after helping UConn reach the Final Four in each of her nine seasons with the team, including five national championships. She was a two-year captain during her playing days at BU and is excited for her new opportunity.

“I am honored and humbled to be named the head women’s basketball coach at Boston University,” Moseley said in a statement. “I am excited to return to a place filled with wonderful memories and helped mold me into the person I am today…I would also like to thank Geno Auriemma and my entire UConn family for their unwavering support through this process and for nine amazing years there. I know I would not be in this position without them.”

Moseley will take over a BU team that went 10-19 this season, including 5-13 in conference play, but UConn head coach Geno Auriemma believes his former assistant will be successful in building the program.

“BU is getting an amazing person who has the ability to transform the women’s program and create excitement that the players, the University and the fans can rally around,” Auriemma said in a statement. “Marisa possesses the same qualities that every successful coach has: passion, energy, compassion, discipline and the ability to communicate effectively to her players. We are going to miss Marisa. She has made a lasting impact on our program and in the hearts of our coaches and players. I will miss her personally as a coach and more as a friend. Congrats to Marisa and BU.”

Former UConn star Breanna Stewart agreed with Auriemma’s assessment.

“Boston University – you got a good one: a fierce competitor that will do all she can to create a successful basketball program, but will more importantly create a family atmosphere that will never die,” Stewart said in a statement.

Josh Buser is a senior staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at joshua.buser@uconn.edu.