More rain means more rescheduling: UConn hosts CCSU Wednesday

0
1
exc-5ad6a0d62b6a284cf9f5efbc

After heavy amounts of rain here in Storrs, the UConn Softball team was forced to make schedule changes. (Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

UConn will welcome Central Connecticut State University (CCSU) to Burrill Family Field Wednesday afternoon at 3 p.m. after torrential rain on Monday pushed the game back. Originally scheduled for Tuesday, all the rain made extra field maintenance a priority and moved the game to Wednesday.

The Huskies (15-28) will look to end a four-game skid which included three loses to ECU over the weekend. Freshman Briana Marcelino had a great weekend amid some team struggles, racking up four hits in Saturday’s doubleheader. Meanwhile, fellow freshman Reese Guevarra boosted her average in last weekend’s action, tallying a hit in each of the series’ three games.

The Blue Devils (14-22) have not had much success against the Huskies as UConn has dominated their all-time series 59-8. The two squads haven’t met since UConn swept the season series back in 2016. The Huskies won both of those games in dominating fashion with a combined score of 11-0.

Jill Stockley continues to lead the way for the Huskies’ pitching staff. The junior leads the team in most of the major statistical categories, including ERA (2.83), wins (6), complete games (10) and strikeouts (76). Stockley has also amassed a team high 121.1 innings pitched, more than double than next place on the team, Marybeth Olson with 59.2.

Similarly to the Huskies, CCSU will try to end their losing streak of three games Wednesday afternoon. The Blue Devils are sitting in fourth place in the Northeast Conference with a 5-3 record in conference play. CCSU has not played since a doubleheader against Boston University on April 11. Their most recent action was a doubleheader slated for this past Sunday which was postponed as a result of the weather.

Brittany Camara has been able to do a little bit of everything at the plate for the Blue Devils this season. The senior infielder leads the team in average (.320), hits (40), RBI (22) and runs (25). Camara has also shown off her power and speed with her 11 steals, good enough for second on the team, and her .424 slugging percentage, accompanied by her one home run and a team best six doubles.

Senior Emily Sargent has done the majority of the heavy lifting in the circle for CCSU. Sargent, like Stockley, leads her team in most of the statistical categories, including her seven wins and 14 complete games in 25 appearances. Sargent boasts a team best 134.2 innings pitched with a 2.91 ERA and a strikeout-to-walk ratio of 60-to-34.

This will be the Huskies’ 10th home game in their last 11 games. Following this weekend’s road trip to Memphis for a three-game set, UConn will play five of their last 12 contests in Storrs.  

Kevin Arnold is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at kevin.arnold@uconn.edu.