Friday, April 26, 2024
HomeLifeThirsty Thursday: Blueberry Smash

Thirsty Thursday: Blueberry Smash

Get ready for warm weather with the Blueberry Smash. (Via Daily Campus Life)

We are reaching the end of the semester here at the University of Connecticut, and soon it will be time to soak up the sun and forget about schoolwork. The weather is still holding on to the last bit of chill, but we can at least pretend that summer is already here with our Blueberry Smash.

Ingredients

Blueberries (fresh or frozen)

One tablespoon of brown sugar

One ounce of lemon juice

Three ounces of dark rum

Ginger ale

Line the bottom of a glass with one layer of blueberries. Add the brown sugar and lemon juice and muddle. You don’t want to muddle the drink too much, just enough to open up the blueberries. Be careful not to mash the blueberries into a pulp. Add ice and the rum. Top off with ginger ale.

Our Blueberry Smash gives off a great first impression. The drink is a beautiful purple, and the floating pieces of blueberry add another dimension to this aesthetically pleasing drink.

Not only does our Blueberry Smash look great, but it is without a doubt one of my favorite drinks that we have made this year. It’s not too overpoweringly sweet, but you can definitely taste the sweetness of the blueberries, brown sugar and ginger ale. The sugar content of this drink does a good job in masking the taste of the rum, so you can barely tell that there are about two shots in one drink. Blueberries are a quintessential summertime fruit, so our Blueberry Smash is the perfect beverage for anyone who cannot wait for warm weather.