UCPD DUI arrests see decreases from 2014

0
0

(File photo/The Daily Campus)

The number of DUI arrests made by the University of Connecticut Police Department have declined significantly over the past few years, according to data provided by UCPD.

In 2014, there were 47 arrests. This number decreased by 27.6 percent in 2017, when there were only 34 arrests.

“In the past decade, our community has become very responsive to safe driving habits and we have seen more ridesharing, both among sober drivers and paid services,” UCPD Deputy Police Chief Andrew Fournier said. “We are happy to see the decreased numbers of DUI arrests.”

There are noticeable upticks in DUI arrests during certain months. In October, from 2014 to 2017, there were 21 total arrests, compared to 17 in November or 18 in September during the same period.

In April there have been 26 arrests from 2014 to 2018 so far. There have already been two DUI arrests this month. This is a significant 54 percent increase from March’s 2014 to 2018 total of only 12 arrests for DUIs.  

Fournier said the increases for DUI arrests during these months align with a generally higher level of activity on campus.

“The increases are fairly consistent with general higher activity levels that we see in April and October/September,” Fournier said. “These months usually produce higher calls for police service.”

UCPD has traditionally set up DUI and other motor vehicle violation checkpoints on certain weekends in these months, such as Homecoming weekend and Halloween weekend in October and Spring Weekend in April. Fournier said these checkpoints do not necessarily increase DUI arrests.

“The checkpoints are intended to raise awareness of safe driving habits and not necessarily to increase arrests,” Fournier said.

Anna Zarra Aldrich is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at anna.aldrich@uconn.edu. She tweets @ZarraAnna.