A Manhattan real estate mogul is ending the Korean War

0
0

A South Korean marine soldier passes by a TV screen showing file footage of South Korean President Moon Jae-in and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, left, during a news program at the Seoul Railway Station in Seoul, South Korea, Wednesday, April 18, 2018. North and South Korea have agreed to allow live television broadcasts for parts of the summit between North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and South Korean President Moon Jae-in next week. (AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon)

The breaking story that North and South Korea are in talks to officially end the Korean War is mind boggling. It is hard to explain just how monumental the last few months have been in the Korean War saga. When news broke that North Korea was open to the idea of denuclearization, I was skeptical at best. Then the news broke that Kim Jong Un and President Trump were in talks to meet face to face, and my optimism rose. And finally, my outlook on this issue hit an all-time high in the last few days or so with news that the Korean War may end once and for all.    

Let us not be quick to forget that rhetoric and pandemonium that has been perpetuated against President Trump on this issue. One of the main claims against the President is that he’s unhinged, unstable and a disgrace on the international stage. I hate to break it to you folks, but President Trump’s bearish tactics have worked like a charm. Kim Jung Un’s regime is unbelievably oppressive. He and his ancestors are legitimately worshipped like gods in their hermit kingdom. Imprisonment and even death comes at even the slightest opposition to the totalitarian state. There is only one way to reason with such a brutal dictator, and that is with strength. President Trump has done just that. The President has used his bully-pulpit to back North Korea’s regime into a corner and make them realize that yes, they may get a missile or two off, but the outcome of war with the United States would lead to fire and fury in the most literal sense. And in a remarkable turn of events, every day the chance of a war seems to weaken. It is so nice to have strong, bold leadership in the oval office again.

It is hard to say what the end goal in this situation will be. Obviously in a perfect world reunification would happen and the oppressive regime in the North would concede power, allowing their people to receive basic human rights that they currently lack. Denuclearization of the north would also be ideal. However, these two goals may be a pipe dream. I believe the more realistic goal should be to pressure North Korea to allow more western, pro-democracy culture into their country. This doesn’t have to be an opening of the floodgates overnight but rather a slow influx of information while a simultaneous thawing of relations between North and South Korea occurred. I believe this is very obtainable.

A Manhattan real estate mogul has effectively ended the Korean War. No matter how many times that line is read, it’s hard for it to fully sink in. At this point I believe the Trump Administration deserves the highest praise possible when it comes to this situation. President Obama, Bush, Clinton, and others before them failed quite miserably when it came to negotiations with North Korea. I think it’s pretty obvious to say war is a horrible thing; an all-out war with North Korea would see massive bloodshed on all sides. War is bad enough. Nuclear war is infinitely worse. All signs point towards an outcome where no more blood will be shed. This recent thawing of relations is a win not only for the Korean Peninsula or the United States, but for the world as a whole. I never thought I would see the day that the reality tv star, anti-politician candidate, master negotiator Donald J. Trump would help end an almost seventy year conflict. It’ll be quite interesting to see how much more he can accomplish in another six and a half years as the leader of the free world.

Alexander Grzelak is a staff columnist for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at alexander.grzelak@uconn.edu.