Lacrosse: Huskies narrowly lose to Georgetown

0
2

Sophomore defender Alyssa Conklin looks for an open teammate during the Huskies 20-8 victory over the Cincinnati Bearcats on Friday, April 13 at the Sherman Family Sports Complex. The Huskies lost 15-14 to No. 23 Georgetown on April 18. (Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus) 

The UConn lacrosse team put up a good fight at No. 23 Georgetown, losing 15-14 against the Hoyas.

UConn is now 7-8 overall and 3-4 in the Big East. Georgetown is 10-4 overall and 6-1 in the Big East.  

The first half of the game was back and forth with UConn outshooting Georgetown 19-15. However, the Huskies were down by one at the break.

In the second half, the Hoyas were up by as much as four but the Huskies fought back and went on a 6-0 scoring run to put them ahead 13-11 with a little under ten minutes to play.

With a little over two minutes remaining and the score tied at 14, a turnover allowed Georgetown the opportunity to score with Taylor Gebhardt with 24 seconds left on the clock. The Huskies were not able to counter and the win was sealed.

Senior attacker Grace Nolan became the Big East all-time points leader with 139. Nolan scored eight goals and dished out two assists against the Hoyas. Her eight goals matches Nolan’s own record that she shares with fellow senior Kelsey Catalano.

UConn went 4-9 on free positions shots while Georgetown missed all three of their opportunities.

Freshman Sydney Watson won a personal-best nine draw controls to go with three assists, one ground ball and one caused turnover.

Sophomore goalkeeper Grace Beshlian stopped eight shots in the game.

The Huskies will return home on Sunday for senior day against Vanderbilt. The contest is slated to begin at 12 p.m.

Mariana Dominguez is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.