Men’s Tennis: American Conference tournament preview

0
1
exc-5ad809831ae6cf35111bc337

(Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

(Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

The UConn men’s tennis team will travel to Dallas this week for the American Conference Championship tournament. The Huskies, who are the No. 10 seed in the tournament, will play No. 7 seed ECU on Thursday at 10 a.m.

The two teams met just four days ago, with the Pirates coming out on top 5-2 in a highly competitive match. The Huskies, who were playing without No. 5 singles player John Holtmann, were able to battle their way to three-sets in four of the six singles matches. Freshman Yili Zheng held on for a 6-4, 4-6, 6-1 win at No. 1 while junior Jack McLister fought his way to a 7-6, 1-6, 7-5 victory at No. 4. Junior Hank Hill and senior Jonathan Edwards both lost first set leads en route to three-set losses at No. 2 and No. 5 respectively. The Pirates picked up straight set wins at No. 3 and No. 6 and claimed the doubles point to round out the win.

The Huskies have played just two American Conference opponents to date, losing to EC

U and Temple. If UConn is able to get past ECU on Thursday in the first round, a matchup with No. 2 Tulane awaits. The Green Wave boast a 15-6 record overall and a 3-1 record against American Conference opponents with wins over USF, SMU and Tulsa and a loss against Memphis, who is the top seed in the American Conference tournament.

The Huskies have lost six straight matches but will look to end their season positively with a run in the tournament.

Story Salit is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus and can be reached via email at story.salit@uconn.edu.