‘Once a Husky, Always a Husky’: Lister rejoins UConn WBB as assistant coach

0
0
exc-5ad937d970a6adf9d3dd97ad

(Steven Slade/UConn Athletics)

(Steven Slade/UConn Athletics)

Spending two seasons away from UConn was enough for Jasmine Lister. The former graduate assistant will rejoin the Huskies women’s basketball program as an assistant coach, according to a university statement released Thursday afternoon.

Lister was a member of the UConn staff from 2014-2016, helping the Huskies to two national championships in her graduate assistant role. She returns to Storrs following two seasons as an assistant, first with Washington in 2016-17 and later with DePaul this past year.

“Words cannot describe how excited and grateful I am to have the opportunity to return to UConn,” Lister said in the release. “When I was a graduate assistant, the biggest lesson I learned from Coach (Geno) Auriemma is life is all about timing and when to execute. I cannot wait to work with this excellent staff and team again. Once a Husky, always a Husky.”

Lister’s programs had plenty of success the past few seasons, helping lead DePaul to a 27-8 record this year and Washington to a 29-6 record the year prior. With UConn, Lister will work with the Huskies’ guards while assisting in all facets of recruiting and player development, according to the release.

After seeing nine-year assistant coach Marisa Moseley named head coach of Boston University Tuesday, Auriemma said he was thrilled with Lister’s arrival to the staff.

“I couldn’t be happier to have Jasmine back on my staff,” Auriemma said in the release. “Over the last two years, she had great opportunities to work at two really good schools. She is going to bring the same energy, enthusiasm and passion that she had as a player to our coaching staff. We are thrilled to have Jasmine back in Storrs.”

Prior to her coaching career, Lister played college basketball for Vanderbilt. She was named All-SEC in each year of her four-year career and set the school record for minutes played. After graduating in 2014, Lister came to UConn to earn her master’s degree in sport management, while also playing in seven games for the WNBA’s Los Angeles Sparks in 2015.

Josh Buser is a senior staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at joshua.buser@uconn.edu.