Baseball: No. 20 UConn prepares for mid-week showdown at Holy Cross

0
2
exc-5ade7928575d1fb25a176e87

The UConn Huskies tied with Bryant University 9-9. The game ended short due to darkness. Huskies Baseball’s next home game at J.O. Christian Field is on 4/25 against Rhode Island. (Eric Wang/The Daily Campus)

The No. 20 Huskies will take on a hot Holy Cross team in Massachusetts Tuesday at 5:05 p.m. UConn headed into last weekend’s match as the No.24 team in the country, but after a series win against Cincinnati, the Huskies are now No. 20.

Senior Troy Stefanski was named to the American Honor Roll after he tortured Cincinnati pitching. The outfielder hit .412, with eight hits, seven RBIs, a homer and three doubles.

After catcher Zac Susi left Friday’s game, UConn head coach Jim Penders had to decide who would get to start Saturday and Sunday’s game. Thad Phillips got the start as catcher, Michael Woodworth moved to second base, Christian Fedko was the designated hitter and Conor Moriarty started third base.

Moriarty proved that Penders made the right decision. In Saturday’s win, Moriarty led off the ninth inning with a 10-pitch walk and he would eventually score the game-winning run. On Sunday, the third basemen hit a two-run double to put the Huskies up 5-3 in the seventh inning.

“I was just trying to make the most of the opportunity I was given,” Moriarty said in an interview on the team’s website. “Trying to take the same (batting practice) I take every game – same preparation.”

The UConn (22-12-1, 7-5) offense has improved as the season has progressed. Susi still leads the team in average (.322), Feldstein leads the team in homeruns (10), RBIs (30) and slugging percentage (.581).

Sophomore Mason Feole is coming off a complete game with a career-high 14 strikeouts, in the 1-0 loss Friday night. The lefty has a 2.72 ERA, 77 strikeouts and a 5-1 record.

The Huskies are missing two of their top three starters, Tim Cate and Chase Gardner, but both injuries are not considered to be serious.

Holy Cross (15-16) is coming off a three-game sweep of Lafayette. Austin Masel leads the offense with a slash line of .330/.410/.538 to go with four homers, six doubles, two triples and 16 RBIs. Overall, the team has a .239 batting average.

Pat McGowan is the team’s best starting pitcher and leads the staff with a 2.00 ERA over 54 innings of work. Reliever Danny Barlok has been lights out for Holy Cross with a 1.31 ERA and 51 strikeouts over 34.1 innings pitched.

With 17 games left in the regular season, the Huskies are currently ranked No. 13 in RPI and in fourth place in the American Conference.

Michael Logan is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.logan@uconn.edu.