New music library study space looks sharp

0
0

The music library has just opened it’s new study space, called The SFA Student Collaboration Space. (Olivia Stenger/The Daily Campus)

Music students are able to study and work more comfortably with a new and improved study space in the Music and Dramatic Arts library, which was built with a $2.1 million budget.

“(The new study space) is a quiet place to study,” Karlee Cummings, a second semester music education major said. “It’s very spacious with semi-closed off seating areas with a large table and whiteboards.”

The music library was constructed in the early 1990’s, according to the project budget, and is the home for a majority of the University Libraries’ music-related materials.

The library is arranged so there are reading and study areas, stacks, archives, listening rooms and classrooms, according to the project budget.

“There’s a place to chill by the couches and also study group chairs with desks attached to some,” Cummings said.

Renovations were done not only to the study area, but also to the second floor administrative offices, according to the project budget.

“Phase I reconstructs the second floor of the (music library) to provide departmental administrative offices,” the program budget said.

Music majors and other people who regularly visit the music library seem to be satisfied with the new renovations.

“Everyone’s really excited it’s open,” Cummings said.

Ashley Anglisano is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at ashley.anglisano@uconn.edu.