Huskies top Bryant 4-1 in second straight win

0
0
exc-5adfcc212b6a283777ed3607

UConn hosts Bryant University for their mid-week game at the Burrill Family Field on Tuesday, Apr. 24. The Huskies cruised to a 4-1 win over the Bulldogs, leading to their second mid-week victory. (Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

The UConn softball team won their second consecutive game after topping Bryant 4-1 in their midweek matchup. Jill Stockley was impressive yet again in her complete game effort that included striking out six, allowing only two hits and leaving nine runners stranded.

“We had incredible pitching on the mound. Jill did a great job of hitting her spots and changing speeds,” head coach Jen McIntyre said. “The offense broke it open early with Bri’s home run, which was huge, and the defense was solid… all three parts were firing today.”

Stockley credited her offspeed stuff, in particular her curveball, for her success in the circle. Wednesday marked the 12th complete game for the junior pitcher, who continues to carry a team-best ERA of 2.69.

“For Jill to come in and take care of the region for us in the middle of the week, that’s what we’re looking to do,” McIntyre said. “She’s been doing a nice job.”

The Huskies (18-30) gave Stockley an early lead to work with when freshman Briana Marcelino mashed a two-run home run on the initial pitch in the bottom of the first. Kiwi McDaniel extended the lead to three in the next inning on a sacrifice fly that scored Kelli Bates and eventually drove in Marcelino on a fourth-inning double for the Huskies’ fourth and final run of the day.

“[Brandi Burgin] was pitching all outside, so our game plan was to just go with the ball,” McDaniel said on her two RBI performance.

Stockley tossed five shutout innings before getting into some trouble in the sixth, allowing one Bulldog to score. Tuesday’s win brought UConn’s all-time record to 11-1 against the Bulldogs (12-26).

UConn tallied nine hits on the day while three different Huskies had multi-hit performances. Kelli Bates rode the momentum of her three-hit day this past weekend, picking up two more against the Bulldogs, while Carli Cutler and Reese Guevarra followed suit with two hits each. This marked the 13th time this season that the Huskies have won when out-hitting their opponent, compared with just four losses.

The Huskies will hit the road for a Wednesday afternoon matchup with UMass Amherst. First pitch with the Minutemen (26-12) is scheduled for 4 p.m. but make sure to take a look at @UConnSoftball on both Twitter and Facebook in case of weather-related issues. UConn will look to snap UMass’s current six-game winning streak that has them in first place in the Atlantic 10.

Kevin Arnold is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at kevin.arnold@uconn.edu.