Point/counterpoint – Who’s the more annoying sports fan?

0
2
exc-5ae285a02b6a283b649068b3

It’s tradition at the Sports section of The Daily Campus for the departing editor(s) to serve as the subject of an electric point/counterpoint on their final day of print production and Tyler Keating and Chris Hanna are next up. Incoming sports editor Michael Logan and new associate sports editor Andrew Morrison use this question as a vehicle for roasts: Is Chris Hanna the bigger front runner or is Tyler Keating the bigger fan of the underdog?

Michael Logan: Yes, Chris Hanna is a fan of every upper-echelon team in sports, but I am here to tell you that Tyler Keating is a fan of more “underdogs.” My argument begins and ends with his fandom for the New Jersey, I mean, Brooklyn Nets. I thought people were only Nets fans if they were forced at gunpoint or were fans of Jay-Z, but Tyler bucks that trend. He irrationally believes that Jarrett Allen, yes, JARRETT Allen is the second coming of Shaquille O’Neal.

Andrew Morrison: As a Nets fan myself, I have nothing but respect for a fellow Brooklyn fan, knowing very well that whenever you put on a Nets sweatshirt, you’re setting yourself up for a day of incessant hate–and Tyler wears that sweatshirt proudly regardless. You have to admire someone who sticks with his team through thick and thin. You know who doesn’t do that? Chris ‘winner-picker’ Hanna. Here’s just a few of the teams that Chris supports: the Spurs, the Yankees, FC Barcelona, Duke men’s basketball and of course, UConn women’s basketball. Has he ever witnessed his “favorite” team lose before? That said, he is a Jets fan, which I don’t even feel the need to make fun of because I just feel bad.

Logan: Yeah, yeah, yeah. That is pretty egregious, but it is almost as if Tyler is setting himself up to be disappointed at the end of the season. Actually, he usually doesn’t even have to wait until the end of the season because his teams are out of contention after the first game (except the Yankees who just buy their teams). Tyler could have covered the UConn Women’s basketball team, but he opted to cover the men’s team in a trying season. It is almost as if he is afraid to win. Sadly, the only time he had a “win” was when he mustered up the confidence to chat with Rachel Hill. Not to mention Tyler isn’t sure if he loves or hates Bill Simmons. After all, he listens to every podcast, but is constantly making fun of him for his previous shortcomings.

Morrison: Think of that one person you know who randomly picks a team and decides to be their number one “fan.” People that cling to teams simply because they’re good or they have nice uniforms or “they have cool players!” are infuriating. Now take that and multiply by 10, and you’re left with Chris Hanna. Here’s how he decided to be a Spurs fan (besides seeing their name atop the NBA standings): at the mature age of FOUR, Chris went to a Celtics-Spurs game. The Spurs won that game, and Chris made the life-changing decision in that very moment–a four-year-old, keep in mind–to be a Spurs fan for life. Also, you should hope that Chris is never right about anything ever, because when he is, he’ll make sure to tell you about it. Yeah, ok, he was a little upset when the Giants drafted OBJ six spots ahead of the Jets because he was absolutely certain of Odell’s potential after pouring over hours of film. He hasn’t stopped bragging about it since.

Logan: Both of these guys are top quality, caring and genuine. I never in my wildest dreams thought that I would become the sports editor for this great newspaper, but under Tyler and Chris’ leadership, I learned what it takes and how to become a better writer and reporter. I will miss those jam-packed sports meetings on Sunday’s with Tyler joking about the top sports storylines and I am grateful that Chris will still be here as the Editor-in-Chief next year. I know that Tyler will be successful in any career path he chooses and I am thrilled that Chris will be the leader of the Daily Campus. I cannot thank Tyler and Chris enough.

Morrison: All joking aside, I want to say a massive thank you to both Tyler and Chris for all that they’ve done as leaders of the sports section and as friends. When I joined the paper last year, Tyler was one of the first people to learn my name, be genuinely interested in making me a better writer and including me in the meetings. You’ve been a fantastic sports editor and have brought some great ideas to the paper. I’ve enjoyed taking mutual joy and heartbreak in the Giants, and I will desperately miss having a fellow Nets fan on staff.

Chris, although you’re not going anywhere, thanks for being an extremely welcoming face in the meetings for the past two years. Your sense of humor and charisma will be very much missed in the sports meetings, and as much as I’d like to see you as the sports editor next year, you’ll do great things as Editor-in-Chief. Thanks again to Tyler and Chris and all the graduating seniors, best of luck in whatever comes next.

Michael Logan is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.logan@uconn.edu.

Andrew Morrison is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at andrew.morrison@uconn.edu. He tweets at @asmor24