Men’s Soccer: A look back at the Huskies

0
2
exc-5aebce768a922d1fe64e551c

(Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

After an average season in which the UConn men’s soccer team went 8-8-2, they will say goodbye to six of their own at graduation this year.

Midfielders Alex Kao, Cheike Stephane Coly, Santiago Muriel; forward David Abunaw; goalkeeper Scott Levene; and defender Andrew Geres will all graduate in the coming weeks.

Although the Huskies record was at 0.500 this season, they still went 4-3 in the American Athletic Conference, which put them in third-place. Unfortunately, their only playoff game was a 1-0 loss to UCF.

The subtractions of these  players will leave the Huskies with vacancies at the goalkeeper position and two other spots that will need to be filled.

In Geres, the Huskies will be losing one of their four players that started all 18 games this season. At the right back position on the defensive line, he also helped the Huskies to a 0.96 goals against average, which was third-best in the AAC.

Levene was even more important when it came to the Huskies’ defense this season, recording eight shutouts, second-most in the conference and 64 saves. He was selected to the AAC all-second team as well and named AAC goalkeeper of the month on four separate occasions. He will end his career after 70 consecutive starts.

As for the midfielders, Coly, Kao and Muriel all contributed to the solid UConn defense. Coly started 12 games this season and played all 18. In those 18 games he attempted eight shots with five on goal.

Kao appeared in 12 games this year for UConn and was able to register an assist while also attempting one shot.

Muriel played in a single game this season, an Oct. 31 game against Yale.

As for next year, rising senior captains Abdou Mbacke Thiam and Jacob Hauser-Ramsey were each selected to the First Team All-Conference for their accomplishments last season.Thiam led the team with 10 goals and 24 points. Each player figures to lead the team again next season.

UConn’s defense will surely miss the seniors that are leaving, but their offense is not taking any major hits which is a positive sign for the upcoming season. The Huskies have plenty of juniors and freshman as well who should be ready to move into larger roles.

Zac Lane is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at zac.lane@uconn.edu.