Women’s Soccer: UConn wins one, drops another

0
0
exc-5b8343d06d2a73bb5c1dd16a

The women's soccer team bounced back after a two-game losing streak with a 3-2 win over CCSU. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

The women’s soccer team bounced back after a two-game losing streak with a 3-2 win over CCSU. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

After a two-game losing streak, the Huskies were put back on top Thursday night when they stormed back to defeat Central Connecticut State University 3-2.

“The team deserved that,” head coach Margaret Rodriguez said after the game. “It just took us playing a little more of who we are and getting comfortable and [I] would’ve been disappointed if we didn’t get that win.”

The win over CCSU (1-1) was the first time the Huskies have come back from a two-goal deficit since a double-overtime win versus Portland on Sept. 14, 2003.

The winning goal was scored by Sophia Danyko-Kulchycky from 22 yards out.

“It feels great to win a game after we’ve been through a lot,” Danyko-Kulchycky said. “We did great in exhibition games and obviously didn’t do great in our first two games. We gave it our all on the field, looking to come out with a win. Even though it was tough, it means so much to the team.”

After the game, both Rodriguez and Danyko-Kulchycky discussed the leadership on their team so far this season.

“Our best leadership is coming from Emily Costanzo who hasn’t stepped foot on the field for us this year which is a credit to her character and her personality,” Rodriguez said. “It’s not easy to sit on the bench but she has a way of talking to the team and motivating us so we couldn’t be anywhere without her leadership.”

Danyko-Kulchycky spoke about the leaders for the Huskies as motivators for the rest of the squad.

“The whole team, everyone wants to fight for the seniors,” she said. “That’s what makes it a different team. That’s what makes it a special team.

On Sunday, the Huskies headed up to Massachusetts to play Boston College (4-0). In their match last year B.C. accomplished a shutout victory against UConn.

This season was no different as the Eagles kept UConn scoreless while scoring two goals themselves.

At halftime, the Huskies were only down by one but B.C. netted another in the second half to increase their lead and secure the win.

UConn is now 1-3 on the season and will look to bounce back in their home game against Rutgers on Thursday at 7 p.m.

Mariana Dominguez is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.