Volleyball: UConn heads home to face Quinnipiac after strong start to the season

0
0
exc-5b84b70f898583173cc8241a

Volleyball stock photo by Jon Sammis.jpg

UConn ended their first tournament with a final record of 2-1. They looked sharp, and will look to carry that momentum into their first home game of the season against 0-3 Quinnipiac.

The team had some amazing contributions from both new and old faces. Senior Emma Turner totaled a whopping 124 assists during the Huskies’ first tournament, and freshman Caylee Parker didn’t skip a beat, leading the team over the first three games with a total of 41 kills. That combination could prove to be a vital one as the season moves on.

Due to her stellar weekend, Parker was named to the American Athletic Conference Honor Roll. Against Georgia Southern on Saturday, she posted a double-double with 23 kills and 12 digs. Parker was able to use her height and agility to rack up three blocks.

On the defensive end for UConn, senior libero Elizabeth Kline led the way with 53 digs, including 24 in the win against Washington State. Along with this, sophomore Isabelle Peterson tallied eight blocks in the opening three games.

Kat Miller leads the Bobcats offensively with 27 total kills and 3.6 points per set, but she also leads the team in errors (23). Morgan Sherwin has excelled offensively with 22 kills and Maria Pansari has paced the team with 77 assists.

Defensively, Quinnipiac is led by Miller, who has 29 digs and eight blocks through three matchups. Alejandra Rodriguez has made her presence felt as well, recording 28 digs to befuddle opposing offenses.

The Huskies, both new and old, have looked good so far, and even though it is in a small sample size, I personally am looking forward to what is to come this season. Quinnipiac comes to Storrs for the fourth game of the season Tuesday at 7 p.m. in Gampel Pavilion, and the Huskies will look to build on the success they have already had, and earn their third win.

Conner Gilson is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at connor.gilson@uconn.edu.