What’s new with the ongoing UConn construction

0
0
exc-5b84b14b575d1fec274c3742

There are many small construction projects occuring through campus, but most of it is going towards new Student Recreation Center. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

Over the summer, the University of Connecticut’s construction has continued, with most of the construction going towards the new Student Recreation Center and North Eagleville Road, Stephanie Reitz, UConn spokesperson, said in an email.

“[In addition to the construction at the] Student Recreation Center and on various campus roads, particularly on Hillside and North Eagleville roads, there were also various smaller projects throughout campus,” Reitz said. “[This includes] the South Campus laundry rooms, Belden and Watson Hall showers, and other locations inside buildings.”

Significant projects for September 2018 include Wilbur Cross Reading Room renovations,  Beach Hall renovations and Babbidge Library electrical upgrades, according to a UConn construction activity presentation.

According to the University Planning, Design and Construction Quarterly Construction Status Report, the student recreation center is 38 percent done, on budget and on schedule. 

Projects related to the gym included working on the Hillside elevation and the aquatic center

The North Eagleville Road infrastructure and repairs are now 75 percent completed, according to the status report. The project will be ongoing during the fall semester and will be completed around October.

“[The goal of the repairs is to] replace aging infrastructure along North Eagleville Road easterly from North Hillside Road to Storrs Road and northerly along Storrs Road to Towers Residence Halls,” the status said. “This consists of steam and condensate piping, fire water, domestic water, sanitary, storm and electrical/telecommunications duct bank. Sitework, site lighting, landscaping and paving is included.”

In the Alumni Quad buildings, the showers were repaired to stop leaks from getting into the hallways, the status report said. This included demolishing all of the shower areas in Watson and Beldon and rebuilding new showers.

In South Campus, the laundry rooms were renovated to correct non-compliant exhaust installations, electrical upgrades and adding make-up air supply systems, according to the status report.

Fairfield Circle was restored to become a safer and more accessible space for events, the status report said. New pavers, repurposed seating and improved lighting was added. This is the third time in three years it has been repaired. In the summers of 2016 and 2017, the compass pattern was removed, the 15-year old pavers were removed and a painted “UConn” was added.

The Kellogg Dairy Center received two robotic milking machines from DeLaval Inc., the status report said.  Existing hot water heaters needed to be replaced and there were site improvements around the new addition, such as a new retaining wall. As of June 30, the project was 95 percent completed.

While there are projects all-year round, the bulk of the construction takes place during the summer, Reitz said.  

“Although people might think that campus gets quiet during the summer, the opposite is true: although there aren’t nearly as many students on campus, it’s prime time for construction projects that are easier accomplished when there are fewer people around,” Reitz said. “We jokingly call them ‘summer slammers,’ meaning we have to go full force on them during the summer to get them done in time for the students’ return.”

Sarah Ciaschini, third-semester allied health major, said she hopes all the construction will benefit the students.

“It’s inconvenient at times when you’re walking places but hopefully it looks good when it’s done,” Ciaschini said. “They always seem to be working on something.”

Karla Rivadeneira, third-semester Spanish major, said that the construction sometimes makes it difficult to get to class on time.

“It’s annoying to have to go around certain areas to get to class,” Rivadeneira said.

Chrystal Charles, third-semester psychology major, said that she wishes the construction will be done soon, although there is no end in sight.

“It’s honestly ugly to see right now and it’s super inconvenient but hopefully it’s finished soon [because it will look nice when it’s done],” Charles said.

Rachel Philipson is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.philipson@uconn.edu.