Women’s Soccer: Huskies welcome Rutgers to Storrs

0
4

The Women’s Soccer team defeated Arkansas 2-1 in overtime. Alexa Casimiro and Kess Elmore scored for the Huskies. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s soccer team welcomes the Rutgers Scarlet Knights to campus tonight for their fifth contest of the season.

Rutgers finished last season fourth in the Big Ten with a 13-2-6 record. This success made them the 11th ranked team in the country in terms of RPI. They also made the NCAA tournament and won their first game, but then fell to West Virginia the next round in penalties.

This season they have been doing just as well, currently sitting at 3-0-1. Most recently they crushed George Mason University 4-0. Their one tie came at the hands of St. Joseph University, who is also 3-0-1 on the season.

They have scored 10 total goals so far which makes them tied for 21st, and they are only two goals out of the top 10. They are also tied for 13th in assists (10) and tied for 20th in points (30).

The Huskies, on the other hand, have had a much different start to the season. Currently 1-3, they are coming off being shut out at the hands of Boston College up in Massachusetts. They have also only scored four goals on the season, and three of them came in the victory against Central Connecticut State University.

UConn is second to last in the American, only ahead of the 0-2 UCF Knights. A win, or at least a tie against this very talented Rutgers squad, would be very beneficial to getting the Huskies back on track.

Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. and be sure to show up to Morrone Stadium early, as it is jersey night.

Jorge Eckardt is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at jorge.eckardt@uconn.edu.