Women’s Soccer: Huskies Can’t Capitalize Against Rutgers

0
1
exc-5b88a1d9352f53395f75c7b3

UConn Women’s Soccer lost 3-0 against Rutgers at Morrone Stadium Thursday night. UConn defense stopped Rutgers from scoring in the second half (Nicholas Hampton/The Daily Campus)

It has been a disappointing season thus far for the UConn women’s soccer team. They are 1-4-0 on the season including a brutal loss to Rutgers on Thursday.

The Knights scored twice in the first 12 minutes of the game and tallied another goal shortly before the end of the first half.

A big factor that hurt UConn was missed opportunities. The Huskies had nine total shots yet weren’t able to convert those into goals.

A big missed opportunity was when a shot by sophomore defender Yamilee Eveillard hit the crossbar ten minutes before the end of the first half. A goal right before the end of the half would have given the Huskies some breathing room and momentum.

UConn head coach Margaret Rodriguez discussed how the Huskies can learn to capitalize on opportunities.

“Right now it’s about leadership and players stepping up and finding their confidence,” Rodriguez said. “The biggest thing right now is just communication with us. We’re getting a little bit individual and it’s going against what we’ve been working on.”

Another point of interest in the game against Rutgers was the physicality of the game especially in the second half where a handful of players hit the ground.

“The physicality is there,” Rodriguez said. “Rutgers has a lot of athletes – they’re fast and they’re aggressive. We needed to match it and we definitely did. I think we second guessed and hesitated a few times and they won the fifty-fifty battles.”

Rodriguez also emphasized the process and learning from each game.

“Right now we’re focused on the process and growth… and if we can take something from each game and learn from that we’re going to be okay,” Rodriguez said.

Next up, the Huskies will head up to Massachusetts to square off against Boston University. The next home game for UConn will be on Sept. 14.

data-animation-override>
if we can take something from each game and learn from that we’re going to be okay
— Head Coach Margaret Rodriguez

Mariana Dominguez is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.