41 F
Friday, April 19, 2024
HomeSportsWomen’s Soccer: Huskies blanked for third straight game

Women’s Soccer: Huskies blanked for third straight game

With a loss to Boston University, the UConn women’s soccer team has dropped three straight games. (Nick Hampton/The Daily Campus)

UConn women’s soccer dropped their third straight game this weekend, losing to Boston University 3-0. This puts the Huskies at 1-5 on the season, and this recent shutout is the third straight game where they have failed to record a goal. In fact, the Huskies have been shutout in four of the six games they’ve played, only scoring in their 2-1 loss to Syracuse and their 3-1 victory over Central Connecticut State.

This was Boston University’s first win of the season and after scoring only four goals through their first five games they almost doubled that number on Sunday. The Terriers came out of the gates barking and scored just one minute and 32 seconds into the game. Senior McKenna Doyle crossed it to senior Kelly Harris, who put it in the back of the net. BU scored again in the 37th minute, this time Ellie Conlin crossed it to Chloee Sagmoe who separated from the defense and then shot it to the back-left post. Their third goal came in the 71st minute when forward Lauren Adelman had a one on one with the UConn keeper and put it inside the back-right post.

The UConn offense struggled once again. After the Terriers took an early lead the Huskies outshot BU 7-5 until BU scored again, but they were unable to punch any of them in. While the score did not reflect it, the offenses were evenly matched through the first half, with each team recording eight shots. However once the second half came around it became more lopsided, as the Terriers outshot the Huskies 8-3 (6-5 on goal for the game).

UConn switched goalies at the half, with Mollie Kerrigan taking over the duties from Randi Palacios, who had started the previous five games. Palacios has struggled to start the season, giving up at least two goals each game.

The Huskies are now ready to embark on a road trip to Fayetteville, Arkansas, for two games. The first of which will take place on Friday, Sept. 7th against the University of Mississippi. The second will be played just two days later—Sunday, Sept. 9—against the University of Arkansas. They will then have one more game at home against Eastern Michigan before conference play begins.

Jorge Eckardt is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at jorge.eckardt@uconn.edu.