Around the American: UConn falls in the division

0
1

In this file photo, UConn goes on the attack during a 2017 game. (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

UConn’s unbeaten status ended this weekend as the standings of the American Athletic Conference shifted dramatically.

UConn went up against two of the top 25-ranked teams in the country. On Friday, the Huskies fell to No. 24-ranked Notre Dame 3-0 after attempting only one shot on goal in all 90 minutes of play. On Sunday, they faced No. 6-ranked Indiana and were thwarted away by a 41st minute header, losing 1-0. UConn is now 2-2 and will be heading back home for a much-needed two-game home stand.

After losing Friday to Coastal Carolina 2-0, Memphis was able to climb back up to number one in the standings due to an early goal against Fairleigh Dickinson. With the win on Sunday, Memphis is now 2-1-1.

Tulsa followed the same path as Memphis, dropping their first game of the weekend to UNLV 1-0. However, they came back strong Sunday, cruising by North Florida with a 3-0 victory, moving them back up the standings to the second spot at 2-1-1.

UCF came out strong Friday after starting the season 1-1, beating Liberty 4-1. Junior Cal Jennings scored a hat-trick for UCF in the effort, tying Virginia Tech 2-2 and putting them at third in the division at 2-1-1alongside Tulsa and Memphis. USF has continued their losing streak, bringing them to 0-4 and last in the conference. After only going 6-6-4 last season, there is little to hope for as far as progress for the Bulls.

Cincinnati was finally able to get into the win column Friday against Cleveland State, but failed to get to .500 as they lost a close game to Wright State, moving them into seventh place in the conference at 1-3.

SMU started the weekend at the top of the conference, but with a tough loss at Incarnate Word, theymoved to 2-2, placing them at fourth in the conference.

Temple fell to 1-2 after the weekend as they lost Friday to VCU 1-0, but then squeaked by with a win to Old Dominion 1-0.

Daniel Dashefsky is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached at daniel.dashefsky@uconn.edu