Youth for Socialist Action to host screening of Vietnam war film

0
1

The movie poster for Sir No Sir! which YSA is presenting on campus

The University of Connecticut Youth for Socialist Action (YSA) student group will be hosting a screening tonight of a film that chronicles the GI movement against the war in Vietnam. Fred “Mitch” Linck, an anti-war veteran running for Senate as an independent socialist, will also speak at the event.

The event will be held in Castleman 204 at 7 p.m. and is free for all to attend. An open discussion will be held following the screening of the movie, according to YSA President Wyatt Mund.

The featured film is “Sir! No Sir!,” a 2005 documentary directed by David Zeiger. Through archival material and interviews with celebrities such as Jane Fonda and Donald Sutherland, it explores the impact the movement had on the ending of the war and why it is so largely overlooked today.

Mund said he hopes the event will not only be fun for those who attend, but also highlight the club’s serious belief in overcoming odds and joining together, which are themes that can be found in the movie.

“We want to show that . . . we can still end wars [and] oppose power systems, specifically capitalism,” Mund said.

The YSA is one of the newer clubs on campus, having formed only a year ago. As their name suggests, they aim to reject our current capitalist society for a more socialist one and achieve change through mass movements of people, Mund said.

According to Mund, Linck was a big source of ideas for the club’s direction. He came from a lower-income family and joined the military after high school for all the benefits it offered.

However, Linck quickly became disillusioned with the military during his tour of Iraq, where he was shot while on active duty. Although his physical injuries healed, he was left with PTSD, Mund said.

“[Linck] came to the understanding that the people he was being told to kill . . . had more in common [with him] than the people who were ordering them to kill each other,” Mund said.

In addition to appreciating the history of the documentary, Mund said the club hopes it will suggest that even average, working-class people can still end wars and oppose power systems.  

“We’re opposed to all forms of oppression, so we see that as capitalism, sexism, racism, transphobia and homophobia,” Mund said. “We want to reorganize society in such a way that it serves the needs of people, rather than the needs of profit.”

Kara Murray is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at kara.murray@uconn.edu.