Museum of Natural History hosts mushroom gathering event for community

0
0

The Connecticut Museum of Natural History will hold a mushroom gathering and identification event for members of the community.  (Robbie Sproule/Flickr, Creative Commons)

The Connecticut Museum of Natural History will hold a mushroom gathering and identification event for members of the community. (Robbie Sproule/Flickr, Creative Commons)

On Saturday Sept. 8, the Connecticut Museum of Natural History (CTMNH) will hold a mushroom gathering and identification event for members of the community. The program will take place from 10 to 11:30 am and will be led by Connie Borodenko of the Connecticut Valley Mycological Society, according to a press release by the CTMNH.

The program will take place by a river in a state park in eastern Connecticut, Program and Public Information Coordinator at the CTMNH, David Colberg, said. The location is kept vague, as the program requires pre-registration. Registration is currently closed and the program is full.

The event is open to the public and allows participants to collect their own specimens and learn about mushroom identification, Colberg said.

“Participants will seek out edible mushrooms… as well as identifying dangerous and non-edible mushrooms,” Colberg said. “They will bring a basket or paper bags for gathering during the first part of the program. Then they learn about the fascinating world of fungi, collection techniques, and important safety considerations as we discuss the findings with our mushroom expert.  This event is open to the general public, and always attracts a diverse group of participants.”

The event takes place annually and attracts a large amount of attention, Colberg said. The leader of the program, Borodenko, is also involved with CT BioBlitz, a species identifying part-contest, part-festival that is coordinated by the University of Connecticut and run through the Center for Conservation and Biodiversity and the CTMNH, according to the BioBlitz webpage.

The CTMNH originated with a natural history collection started by Benjamin Koons, first president of the Storrs Agricultural College, in 1881. It was officially established by Connecticut legislature in 1985, Colberg said. The museum is currently developing an in-depth army ant exhibit that will expand to regional campuses to become statewide.

“Over the next few years, in partnership with the Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, the museum is developing exhibits and programs focused on the work of CSMNH Founding Director Carl Rettenmeyer and his wife Marian, who collected and studied army ants and their so called ‘guests’ for more than 50 years,” Colberg said. “This unique, multidisciplinary project involves departments across UConn and will include regional campuses to reach communities around the state.”

The museum encourages students to visit exhibits and get involved, Colberg said. Fall events will be published on the website when finalized.

Miranda Garcia is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at miranda.r.garcia@uconn.edu.