‘Rise up for Climate, Justice and Jobs’ rally to take place in New Haven on Sunday

0
0
exc-5b91cd3eaa4a99c4350c7c4e

The Thomas J. Dodd Research Center (Eric Wang/The Daily Campus)

A rally to raise awareness of climate change and advocate for renewable energy will take place on the New Haven Green from 1-2:30 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 9.

The rally, titled “Rise Up for Climate, Justice and Jobs,” will consist of several speakers including a Yale School of Forestry Assistant Dean, the founder of energy conservation company Energy Efficiency Solutions and more. It will also feature performances from local Hartford artists and a march through downtown New Haven from 2:30-4 p.m.

Each stop on the march will feature additional speakers, such as Geremy Schulick of New Haven Stands with Standing Rock at Chase Bank and CT Roundtable for Climate and Jobs chair John Harrity at the plaza behind New Haven City Hall, according to the event’s schedule.

Each stop on the march will highlight things the organizers see as issues in the city, such as Chase bank’s funding of non-renewable energy pipelines and a hospitality labor union’s struggles at New Haven’s Omni Hotel.

The event was planned and will be executed by 350 CT, Connecticut’s chapter of national environmental organization 350, in collaboration with Puerto Rican Agenda and the Sierra Club.

data-animation-override>
The rate of species extinction is reaching levels comparable to previous mass extinctions
— University of Connecticut student Ruwan Munasinghe

University of Connecticut student Ruwan Munasinghe, who is a member of 350CT and UConn Youth for Socialist Action, was on the committee that planned the rally. Munasinghe decided to assist with its organization because he believes environmental degradation is no longer a distant threat.

“The rate of species extinction is reaching levels comparable to previous mass extinctions,” Munasinghe said. “We are living in the Anthropocene, an epoch dominated by the callous actions of corporate and state power.”

Munasinghe said some people are more directly affected by climate change than others, noting that his hometown of Hartford is host to climate refugees from Puerto Rico.

Munasinghe said, “I want people to attend because I want UConn students to realize that if we do not rise up to demand 100 percent renewable energy now, we will have to face many more years and decades of the economic ramifications of one of capitalism’s greatest sins: global climate change.”

Gabriella DeBenedictis is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.