Volleyball: Huskies finish 1-2 at the Depaul Invitational This Weekend

0
4

File- Danielle Cabel rises for a spike against Iona on Aug. 31 (Judah Shingleton/ The Daily Campus)

UConn took a trip to Chicago last weekend to face Florida Atlantic, Depaul and Purdue Fort Wayne, finishing with one win and two losses. The Huskies now sit at 6-4 on the season with conference play only a few games away.

UConn’s first match was against Florida Atlantic (3-3), who came in red hot, having won their previous three games. The Huskies lost in straight sets in a tough game from the get-go. Senior Emma Turner tallied 25 assists and only three digs in the game, one of her lowest marks of the young season. The team as a whole struggled on both ends during this match, as the Huskies
only totaled a .161 hitting percentage while giving up a hitting percentage of .402 to the Owls. This was not the start to the tournament the Huskies were hoping for.

UConn looked like a new team in their second match of the day against host Depaul as this time the Huskies won in straight sets. No single player stood out in this match, as every player seemingly did their job to the best of their abilities. Turner again led the team with 24 assists, adding nine digs on the day. Meanwhile Parker had a very good overall game finishing with nine
kills, three blocks, and five digs, and senior Iman McGary had another impressive day on the offensive end. She lead the team in kills, ending the match with 12 on a very impressive .462 hitting percentage.

The Huskies’ last game was well fought one against Purdue Fort Wayne, but in the end UConn fell in five sets. This was one of the closest games the Huskies played all year; three of the five sets came down to a two-point margin. It was Turner and Parker who shined again in this one.
Turner racked up another 34 assists and 16 digs, her sixth double-double of the season while Parker totaled a new career-high 26 kills on a .246 hitting percentage, tallying another 15 digs and two blocks. Another standout was senior Libero.

Elizabeth Kline, showcased her defensive prowess with a season-high 25 digs in the game.

This was not the best weekend for UConn record-wise. Beyond that however, you see a team that fought back after a tough loss and competed very strongly in their next two matches. UConn has a lot to build off after this weekend and will look to use those improvements for next week when they host the annual Dog Pound Challenge Sept. 14 and 15, in Gampel Pavilion.

Conner Gilson is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at conner.gilson@uconn.edu