Women’s Soccer: UConn drops one and wins one over the weekend

0
3

File- UConn’s Sophia Danyko-Kulchycky pushes the ball upfield. (Nicholas Hampton/ The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s soccer team won one and lost one this past weekend when they traveled to Fayetteville to play Ole Miss and Arkansas.

Before the game UConn’s head coach Margaret Rodriguez talked about the team and her belief in them.

“The team is a good group,” Rodriguez said. “They just need to find the result. That’s the one thing I’m taking from [this]. I believe in them and we have what it takes to get there. It’s just a little bit of our youth and our immaturity that’s ruining us at times.”

On Friday, the Huskies beat Ole Miss 4-3. The win snapped UConn’s three-game scoreless streak and tied for the most goals in a single game since Nov. 12, 2016.

The Huskies got off to a hot start with junior Erin Spillane giving the Huskies the lead in the fifth minute. The early goal was the first time UConn scored first this season.

In minute 17, freshman Izzy Lynch scored her first career goal to double the Huskies lead. Two minutes later Sophia Danyko-Kulchycky scored her third goal of the season.

Ole Miss did not give up however, and scored a goal before the end of the first half and another two minutes into the second half to make it a one-point deficit.

Spillane found the back of the net again at 51:33 to secure the win for UConn. Ole Miss scored another goal but was never able to tie it up and the Huskies walked away with the win.

The four goals scored in the game doubled the season goal total for UConn.

On Sunday, the Huskies lost to Arkansas 3-1. For the second straight game the Huskies scored first but they were unable to maintain the lead.

Junior Alexa Casimiro scored UConn’s only goal for her first goal of the season and the fourth of her career.

The Razorbacks outshot UConn 25-8 in the match.

UConn’s goalkeeper Randi Palacios recorded six saves.

The Huskies are now 2-6 on the season. The next game for UConn is on Friday, Sept. 14 against Eastern Michigan. The game will be played at home at Joseph J. Morrone Stadium.

Mariana Dominguez is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.