Field Hockey to take on Old Dominion, William and Mary

0
1
exc-5ba44c4f1905f4f8c9dc2dcf

The Huskies defeat Quinnipiac with a score of 8-0 on Saturday, September 15. Cecile Pieper scored 6 of the 8 points for the Huskies to improve their record to 7-0. (Photo by Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

The No. 2 ranked UConn field hockey team will take on No. 11 ranked Old Dominion in Norfolk, Virginia Friday at 5 p.m. The Huskies will then make the short trip to Williamsburg to play Williamsburg Sunday at noon.

UConn (7-0) is looking to stay undefeated after coming off an 8-0 home rout of Quinnipiac last weekend. Redshirt senior back Cecile Pieper was selected Big East Defensive Player of the Week for the second straight week while redshirt freshman goalkeeper Cheyenne Sprecher was named Big East freshman of the week. Pieper recorded two goals and two assists against the Bobcats while Sprecher made three saves to notch her fourth shutout performance of the season.

The Huskies have already beaten four ranked teams thus far and will hope to make it five against No. 11 Old Dominion on Friday. UConn has combined a lethal attack (4.71 gpg, 20spg) with stifling defense (0.86 gpg allowed). The Huskies have been very balanced offensively with seven different players having recorded at least nine points. Pieper leads the team with 19.

UConn will face a tough test against Old Dominion, who are also 7-0 and have notched three wins against ranked teams. The Monarchs have allowed just six goals this year and are paced offensively by Erin Huffman (12 pts) and Rebecca Birch (11 pts).

Sunday’s opponent, William and Mary, is 3-3 and lost their only game against a ranked opponent. No. 3 Duke. The Griffins lost to Old Dominion 4-3 in overtime in their second game of the season. The team has been led offensively by Estelle Hughes (14 pts), but are allowing three goals per game.

Story Salit is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus and can be reached via email at story.salit@uconn.edu.