UConn recognized as leader in accessibility for students with disabilities

0
1
exc-5ba44f24104c7bcc4c740042

UConn recognized as leader in accessibility for students with disabilities. (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut (UConn) has been recognized as one of the best and most affordable online schools for students with disabilities by SR Education Group in its 2018 student support rankings.

“The University of Connecticut stood out because it provides a high level of support, a wide breadth of accommodations and comprehensive resources for students with disabilities,” Nicole Hopler of the SR Education Group said. “Additionally, faculty members are provided with various tools and training methods to assist them in creating accessible online courses for students of all backgrounds.”

Schools were ranked on “thoroughness of resources, Universal Design for Learning training, availability of distance learning accommodations, and variety of services provided,” according to a press release by the group. UConn was ranked No. 6 in Best Online Schools for Students with Disabilities.

UConn’s ranking has gone down since 2016, at which time the university ranked No. 4 in the same category.

SR Education Group recognized the importance of UConn’s Center for Students with Disabilities in its report. The center provides resources including audio and Braille textbooks and early class registration to any student on campus or taking online classes who may require additional support to succeed academically.

“All of these factors impressed us,” Hopler said. “These factors, in addition to the low tuition cost, allowed the University of Connecticut to be featured on the 2018 Most Affordable Online Colleges for Students with Disabilities”.

The Best Online Schools for Students With Disabilities Ranking can be found online on the Guide to Online Schools.

The SR Education Group was founded in 2004 to assist prospective students in finding the schools that best fit their interests and needs, Hopler said.

“We soon evolved to become a destination focused on fulfilling the need for prospective students to have a trusted, in-depth resource on educational institutions. This includes featuring unbiased student reviews, statistics on success rates and more,” Hopler said.

Hopler encourages students looking to make their choice about where to attend college to visit the group’s website. The company’s young workforce is dedicated to helping students choose the best school, Hopler said.

“SR Education Group creates and maintains websites aimed at connecting students with the resources necessary to pursue their educations,” Hopler said. “Helping students make better choices and achieve their goals are causes that we can all get behind”

Miranda Garcia is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at miranda.r.garcia@uconn.edu.