Women’s Soccer: Huskies lose first game of conference play to Houston 3-2

0
2
exc-5ba4683de5e5f0a3f6ba8f34

UConn Women’s Soccer plays East Michigan Friday night at Marrone Stadium. Sophomore Yamilee Eveillard led the team with six shots on the goal but the game ended in a 0-1 loss. (Photo by Nicholas Hampton/The Daily Campus)

The UConn Women’s soccer team dropped their third straight game Thursday night, falling to the University of Houston Cougars 3-2.

The Huskies went down early, giving up a minute 12 goal to sophomore forward Jazmine Grant off of a free kick.

The Huskies answered back in the minute 55 when senior defender Elena Santos scored her first goal of the season. However, the game would be tied merely minutes later, as in the minute 58 Houston’s freshman midfielder Reid Morrison scored off a deflection in the box. The Cougars would add some insurance with another goal from redshirt junior Madison Fulp in the minute 84.

However, the Huskies did not quit, and answered right back with a goal just minutes later. Freshman forward Isabelle Lynch scored off a corner kick by senior forward Kim Urbanek. Unfortunately for UConn, the scoring would stop there.

UConn was outshot 26-15 on the night, with eight and five being on target respectively.

It was a messy game, as the two teams combined for 25 fouls, with UConn being responsible for 11 of them.

This was the first game of the season for the Huskies of conference play, and they now drop to 2-8 on the season.

Their next game will take place on Sunday, Sept. 23 in Dallas Texas against the 5-2-1 SMU Mustangs.

Jorge Eckardt is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at jorge.eckardt@uconn.edu.