Depot bus line to return

0
1
exc-5baac65a0d92977f46eff590

The University of Connecticut recently announced that the bus line that goes to the university’s depot campus would be reinstated. (Charlotte Lao/ The Daily Campus)

The new bus lines announced by the Undergraduate Student Government (USG) and Transportation Services include the return of the Depot Line, according to drafted plans from the University of Connecticut Transportation and Facilities website.

The Depot Line will service Storrs campus center and the Depot campus, including the puppetry department.

“[The Depot Line] has an estimated service time of about 40 minutes,” Cheyenne Holliday, liaison on the Transportation Services Advisory Committee, said. “It focuses on the core of campus and most off-campus residences.”

When the Depot Line was removed in Sept. 2017, a shuttle bus ride scheduling system was put into place. Esme Roszel, a fifth-semester puppetry major, described the shuttle bus system as “iffy,” and there were times when students had to walk to the Depot campus from the main part of campus.

Students were frustrated with the loss of the Depot line and getting to classes was a “hassle,” Roszel said.

“It felt silly for them to take the bus away,” Roszel said. “I know it was due to a low demand for rides, but us having classes there every day should be enough of a demand.”

Holliday said there were no specific plans when they began re-designing the bus lines alongside administration, but wanted to ensure that student concerns were heard.

“The administration is very happy to be working with a group that has gathered data, complaints and comments so that more efficient and improved bus lines can be created,” Holliday said. “In regards to Depot Campus specifically, [the administration] saw that there was a need and reacted accordingly.”

Ashley Anglisano is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at ashley.anglisano@uconn.edu.