Men’s Basketball: NCAA charges former UConn head coach Kevin Ollie with unethical conduct

0
0
exc-5baf95ca53450afc165cf03f

FILE – In this Feb. 25, 2018, file photo, then-Connecticut coach Kevin Ollie watches during the first half the team’s NCAA college basketball game in Storrs, Conn. The University of Connecticut and former coach Ollie have been notified by the NCAA of alleged recruiting and other violations during his tenure at the school. The notice of allegations, released Friday night, Sept. 28, by UConn with the names of recruits redacted, includes numerous charges, including unethical conduct by Ollie for allegedly provided false or misleading information about video calls to a recruit from two former UConn stars, Hall of Famer Ray Allen and San Antonio Spurs guard Rudy Gay. (AP Photo/Jessica Hill, File)

Six months after UConn fired former basketball head coach Kevin Ollie for “just cause,” the NCAA released a 12-page document announcing unethical charges against Ollie.

“The NCAA’s notice of allegations is part of a process we have been expecting,” the university said in a statement Friday evening. “We believe its allegations are consistent with our original, internal findings and our joint investigative work with the enforcement staff. We maintain that the actions we have taken to date remain appropriate and consistent with the type, nature, and severity of the levied allegations.”

In the 12-page document, the NCAA alleged that under Ollie’s watch, recruits were given free meals, apparel, spoke with former Husky greats Ray Allen and Rudy Gay and a shootaround with Ollie. The NCAA also said Ollie falsely denied any knowledge of players working out in Atlanta with Derek Hamilton, a professional trainer and personal friend of Ollie.

After going 14-18 and missing the NCAA tournament last season, the university announced they were firing Ollie not for the team’s poor performance, but for violating NCAA compliance. By firing Ollie for “just cause,” the university wiggled its way out of paying Ollie his $10 million buyout. However, Ollie announced immediately after his firing that he would fight against his cause for termination.

The allegations certainly help UConn’s case for firing Ollie for “just cause.”

“While the allegations are a disappointment for the university, our student-athletes and coaches, and certainly all of UConn Nation,” the university said in a statement. “We believe strongly that we have made difficult yet appropriate decisions intended to protect the accountability, integrity, and success of our athletic program now and well into the future.”

“I am aware of the notice of allegations,” newly hired coach Dan Hurley said in a statement. “I have been kept informed throughout the process and will continue to trust the judgement of our administration moving forward.”

Michael Logan is the sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.logan@uconn.edu.