Volleyball: UConn wins second straight vs. Temple

0
0
exc-5bb18879c830254901e38a48

Anna Petrova rises above the competition during a match against Rutgers on Sept. 14, 2018. (Eric Wang/ The Daily Campus)

In a Friday night road matchup against conference foe Temple, the UConn volleyball team came out victorious 3-1 for its second straight American Athletic Conference win.

The first set was a difficult test for the Huskies (10-6, 2-1 The American), as both teams battled back and forth the whole way. Temple (4-11, 1-2 The American) held a late 23-22 advantage before UConn stormed back with three straight points with kills from sophomore Genna Florig and freshman Anna Petrova to come out on top 25-23.

UConn held the lead for the majority of the second set, but a late 7-2 Temple run put them ahead 24-21. The Huskies would not go down without a fight, as they scored four straight points to take the lead 25-24. They could not hold on, though, as Temple capitalized on three straight errors by UConn to take the set 27-25.

The Huskies rebounded well in the third set, opening up with a 5-0 lead. Temple would hold its ground as the set went on, staying just a few points behind and even tying the game a couple times before eventually taking a 13-12 lead. The two squads battled it out down the stretch, as neither team saw a lead above three points before UConn ultimately came out victorious 25-22.

The fourth and final set proved to be less competitive, as Temple built an early 6-3 lead yet were unable to push it to a fifth and final set, falling 25-16 to give the Huskies the win.

Freshman Caylee Parker posted a double-double with 18 kills and 19 digs. Petrova and Florig helped the team out as well making crucial plays at the end of the first set, as well as totaling 14 kills and 10 kills, respectively.

Defensively for the Huskies, seniors Elizabeth Kline and Kennedy Arundel each had quality games with 20 digs and 18 digs, respectively. Freshman Kennadie Jake-Turner also provided stellar play for UConn with a team high seven blocks. Meanwhile a familiar name led the Huskies in assists, as senior Emma Turner racked up 52 to increase her season total to 576.

UConn will return home to Gampel Pavillion this Friday at 7 p.m. to take on ECU (10-4, 2-1 The American) in what will be a competitive early season interconference matchup.

Sam Newton is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at samuel.newton@uconn.edu.