UConn makes parking changes in response to student concerns

0
0

In response to student concerns, overnight parking policies across campus, along with alterations to Hilltop parking and Bishop Lot parking have been made. (Nicholas Hampton/The Daily Campus)

In response to student concerns, overnight parking policies across campus, along with alterations to Hilltop parking and Bishop Lot parking have been made, according to University of Connecticut Facilities, Operation and Building Services.

Overnight parking will now only be enforced at 4 a.m., allowing for students in the Student Union or in the Homer Babbidge Library to park late. Parking in the lower B-Lot behind the Bishop Building will only be enforced for Area 2 between the hours of 7 a.m. and 5 p.m. on weekdays, with evening and weekend parking allowed for all other permit holders.

Additionally, resident parking spaces have been re-added to Hilltop Apartments.

The changes are in response to student criticisms of the parking this year, as many commuter spaces converted to Area 2 parking spots. Dwight Atherton, the director of Parking Services, said that the department is listening to the students and will continue to integrate change based on their input.

“We’re trying really hard to respond to the student concerns,” Atherton said at a meeting last week. “I like working with the students. I want to do the best for them.”

Overnight parking rules were changed in response to concerns from students working or studying late on campus, Atherton said. B Lot parking was modified based off of further student comments and capacity reports from parking enforcement officers.

These changes also come with a new plan for the UConn bus lines, also in response to student feedback to the transportation changes made over the summer.

Atherton said he will continue to monitor parking across campus and make further changes as necessary.

“As time goes on, if [B-Lot] seems to be under utilized, then we will consider making it a commuter lot again,” Atherton said. “We’re going to do it in steps. The first step is opening it up for evening parking. Additional changes are likely, but I can’t exactly say what they’ll be.”

Marlese Lessing is the news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at marlese.lessing@uconn.edu. She tweets @marlese_lessing.