UConn in the NFL: Jones and Wreh-Wilson have strong defensive games to lead Husky alumni this weekend

0
1

Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson (3) celebrates with defensive tackle Shamar Stephen (98) after an NFL football game against the Arizona Cardinals, Sunday, Sept. 30, 2018, in Glendale, Ariz. The Seahawks won 20-17. (AP Photo/Rick Scuteri)

It wasn’t a great weekend for ex-Huskies in the NFL individually, but many were able to walk away with wins to improve their overall season as a team. Here is how the top Huskies performed.

Cornerback Byron Jones, Dallas Cowboys

Jones did not have the best game of his career, but still provided his usual defensive skills for the Cowboys. This week against the Detroit Lions, he played every snap on the defensive, adding another three combined tackles to bring his season total up to 18 on the season. The Cowboys came out on top 26-24 after a game-winning field goal. Look for Jones to continue his strong play next week when the Cowboys take on the Houston Texans.

Cornerback Blidi Wreh-Wilson, Atlanta Falcons

Wreh-Wilson played in his second game of the season, and was finally able to make an impact against the Bengals. Wilson played in 15 snaps, 21 percent of the game, recording two tackles in a game that ended up coming down to the last play. Wreh-Wilson will look to continue his newfound success with the Falcons as they take on the Steelers next week.

Tight End Ryan Griffin, Houston Texans

Griffin once again started at tight end for the Texans, catching his lone target for a 12-yard gain. He also provided his usual strong blocking on the front line, opening a few key holes for Lamar Miller and, later in the game, Alfred Blue, to run through. Griffin played in 69 percent of the offensive snaps for the Texans, his lowest total of the season, but he has tallied at least one catch and 10 yards in three consecutive games.

Defensive Tackle Shamar Stephen, Seattle Seahawks

Shamar Stephen, like all the Seahawks not named Mike Davis, struggled this week when they played a Cardinals offense led by rookie Josh Rosen in his first start of the season. This was Stephen’s third consecutive start, but the first of the season that he did not record a tackle. He played 36 snaps on the defensive end, making up 60 percent of the game total, but Stephen by no means stood out.

Wide Receiver Geremy Davis, Los Angeles Chargers

Davis again was not heavily involved in the Chargers’ offense this past week. He was on the field for eight snaps, but was not targeted throughout the game, as he remains behind Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Tyrell Williams, and Travis Benjamin on the depth chart, where it looks like he’ll stay for the rest of the season.

These were the only Huskies to see the field this week, but other alumni like fullback Anthony Sherman (KC), quarterback Tim Boyle (GB), and defensive tackle Folorunso Fatukasi (NYJ) all remain on rosters.

Overall, teams with ex-Huskies went 6-2 on the weekend, and all of them will be back on the field for Week 5, as none will have their bye until Week 7.

Conner Gilson is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at conner.gilson@uconn.edu.