Men’s Soccer: UConn looks to remain undefeated at home against Cincinnati

0
1
exc-5bb6bd590d92973959fb3ac7

Midfielder Josh Burnett possesses the ball. (Photo by nicholas hampton/The Daily Campus)

The UConn men’s soccer team will be playing conference rival Cincinnati on Saturday night, aiming to extend their record at home to 5-0-1.

The Huskies (5-2-1) are coming off a tough game against Providence College that ultimately didn’t count after the match was called off in the minute 60. Though the game won’t go into the loss column for the Huskies, they were down 1-0 and were outshot 11-3 by PC. Goalkeeper Austin Aviza was the bright spot for UConn, saving five shots.

Head coach Ray Reid will be tasked with motivating Abdou Mbacke-Thiam and the offense to come off of a discouraging performance and get some shots on Cincinnati’s (3-7-1) goal. Before the PC game, UConn had scored six goals in three games, going 2-0-1 over that stretch.

The Bearcats have also gone 2-0-1 over their last three games, and have just allowed one goal over that span, scoring four for themselves. They win low scoring games and lost high scoring ones. If UConn can put a crooked number up on Cincinnati’s scoreboard, they should be in good shape. Cincinnati has only scored two or more goals once in their last seven games.

An aggressive offense will be the recipe for success against UConn’s conference rival on Saturday night. They need to make the game a high scoring game to win Saturday. Running an aggressive offense would be a low risk, high reward strategy for UConn. The Bearcats’ offense isn’t scaring anybody, and the defense has looked strong lately.

The game will be played on the Huskies’ home field of Morrone Stadium. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m.

Sean Janos is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at sean.janos@uconn.edu.