Field Hockey to face Providence and No. 5 Princeton

0
0
exc-5bb6af34c83025bce022fd49

The Huskies move the ball in a night game at Sherman Field (Kevin Lindstrom/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut (UConn) field hockey team will look to bounce back from their first loss of the season with games against Providence and Princeton this weekend. The Huskies will play in Providence this Friday at 6 p.m. for a matchup with the Friars before playing host to the fifth-ranked Tigers this Sunday at noon on Senior Day.

UConn (10-1) suffered its first loss of the season at the hands of new No. 2 Maryland on Sunday. In a rematch of the 2017 NCAA championship game, which the Huskies won 2-1, the Terps got their revenge. Maryland held a comfortable 4-0 lead early in the second half while outshooting UConn by a total of 19-8. Redshirt senior Cecile Pieper scored two goals for the Huskies in the final 10 minutes of play. Junior Svea Boker recorded a pair of assists while redshirt freshman goalkeeper Cheyenne Sprecher had a career-high nine saves.On Friday, the No. 3 ranked Huskies will face Big East opponent Providence (7-5). The Friars are coming off 1-0 win over UMass on Sunday. Allyson Parker and Izzy Mendez lead Providence with 16 points apiece while Lydia Rice has a 1.39 goals against average on a .737 save percentage. The Huskies defeated the Friars in both the regular season and the Big East Tournament Semifinals last year.

UConn will celebrate its Senior Day on Sunday while hosting No. 5 ranked Princeton. Seniors

Amanda Collins, Amelia Iacobucci, Cecile Pieper, Ashley Rich and Julia Russo will be honored before the game.

Princeton (8-3) will represent the seventh ranked opponent the Huskies have faced this season. The Tigers defeated No. 23 Boston University 3-1 on Sunday. Sophia Tornetta and Clara Roth each have notched 15 points to pace the Tigers while goalkeeper Grace Baylis has a 1.59 goals against average on a .588 save percentage.

This season, the Huskies have been balanced offensively with seven different players in double-digit point totals. Pieper leads the team with 14 goals (34 points) while junior Antonia Tiedtke has a team-high 12 assists. Defensively, the Huskies have allowed just 1.18 goals per game, largely thanks to Sprecher’s .768 save percentage.

Story Salit is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus and can be reached via email at story.salit@uconn.edu.