Women’s Hockey: UConn looks to remain undefeated in Vermont

0
2

UConn initiates Hockey East play when they take on Vermont over the weekend (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

After starting the season 2-0 with a pair of home wins over St. Cloud State last weekend, the University of Connecticut (UConn) women’s hockey team will travel to the University of Vermont to begin Hockey East play with the Catamounts.

The last time the Huskies started a season 3-0 was back in 2006. They have a chance to do just that on Saturday against a conference rival in UVM.

The Huskies look to build off the momentum that was created by back-to-back 3-2 wins last Friday and Saturday against a solid St. Cloud State team, who also call themselves the Huskies.

UConn had quite a few standout performers in those two wins. Sophomore forward Morgan Wabick had one goal and three assists, junior forward Catherine Crawley scored two goals and assisted on another, and sophomore forward Natalie Snodgrass scored a goal and had two assists.

Furthermore, freshman defender Camryn Wong and junior forward Briana Colangelo recorded two goals and two assists, respectively. Wong was named the Pro Ambitions Rookie of the Week by the Hockey East.

The Huskies definitely wouldn’t have won the games if not for the spectacular play of junior goaltender Morgan Fisher. Fisher made 60 saves combined in the two games while only allowing four goals, good for a .938 save percentage.

For Vermont, this will be their first regular season game. They beat McGill 3-2 last Saturday in their only exhibition game.

Last season, although the teams had similar records, UConn struggled against the Catamounts, going 0-2-1 in their three meetings. In fact, the Huskies were the only team in the conference not to beat UVM at all.

They will look to change that this season and start off conference play on the road with that all important first win.

Both teams have been waiting a while for this, and everyone will definitely be ready to go on Saturday afternoon in Burlington. Hockey East women’s hockey is back!

Danny Barletta is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at daniel.barletta@uconn.edu .