Annual UCPD report highlights crime statistics

0
1
exc-5bbad15f4785d317a3f75dcd

Reported rapes at the University of Connecticut decreased by 58 percent while reported robberies increased from zero to four over the last three years. (File photo/The Daily Campus)

Reported rapes at the University of Connecticut decreased by 58 percent while reported robberies increased from zero to four over the last three years, according to the UConn Police Department’s (UCPD) annual Security and Fire Safety Report.

In 2015, there were 38 reported rapes on UConn’s Storrs campus, a number that decreased to 24 in 2016 and again to 16 in 2017.

(Graphic provided via writer)

The number of reported robberies increased from zero in 2015 to three in 2016 and four in 2017.

UCPD Deputy Chief Andrew Fournier said the statistics should not be viewed through a lens of specific changes from one year to the next.

“The numbers are driven by a number of factors, including reporting by victims,” Fournier said. “It is difficult to say that the decrease in rape offenses or the slight increase in robbery offenses can be attributed to any particular factor.”

Fournier said the annual report provides policies pertaining to harassment, discrimination, domestic violence and theft. It also contains resources for students regarding mental health and safety enforcement.

“The annual security report provides an overall picture of specific crime trends on college and university campuses,” Fournier said.

Reported cases of stalking decreased by 14 in 2016 and by eight in 2017. Reported cases of aggravated assault decreased by two in 2017 and did not change in 2016.

“Continued community outreach by UConn Police coupled with programming by other University of Connecticut departments is a positive step in preventing violence and overall public safety awareness,” Fournier said.

William Raccio is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at william.raccio_jr@uconn.edu.