HomeSportsWomen’s Hockey: Huskies defeat Vermont 4-2

Women’s Hockey: Huskies defeat Vermont 4-2

The Huskies remain undefeated following a 4-2 victory over the Catamounts thanks to a game-winner from sophomore Savannah Bouzide. (File photo/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s hockey team improved its record to 3-0, beating the Vermont Catamounts by a score of 4-2.

The Huskies had plenty of chances to score in the first period, but they were unable to convert on any of their 12 shot attempts, some of which came on three power-play opportunities.

It looked like the second period was also going to stay scoreless until the 16th minute, when UConn senior defenseman and captain Jamie Fox scored her first goal of the season on an assist from Tristyn Svetek and Viki Harkness.

However, the Catamounts responded less than two minutes later, when Vermont senior forward Saana Valkama scored on an assist by Kristina Shanahan and Anna Erickson.

Then, in the last 11 minutes of the third period, the game exploded. Vermont took a 2-1 lead 9:36 into the period on a goal by freshman forward Lilly Holmes that was assisted by Olivia Kilberg and Taylor Flaherty.

The Huskies tied it up less than a minute later, when junior forward Briana Colangelo took advantage of a power-play opportunity and scored off an assist by Taylor Wabick and Natalie Snodgrass.

UConn scored the eventual winning goal with less than three minutes left, as sophomore forward Savannah Bouzide scored off an assist by Viki Harkness and Tristyn Svetek on yet another power-play opportunity.

They scored one more in desperation time for Vermont, with sophomore forward Natalie Snodgrass putting one in an empty net with just 20 seconds left in the game.

UConn outshot Vermont 36-23, with Snodgrass leading the team with six. Snodgrass led the team with five points through the first two games, two goals and three assists.

The Huskies’ next game takes place on Friday, Oct. 12 in Durham, New Hampshire against UNH. The Wildcats are 0-1-1 this season and are coming off a 1-0 overtime loss to No.10 St. Larwence University. UConn will then return home the next day for a game against Holy Cross.

Jorge Eckardt is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at jorge.eckardt@uconn.edu.