The party of intolerance

0
3

In this Nov. 8, 2016 file photo, Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, and her husband former President Bill Clinton, greet supporters after voting in Chappaqua, N.Y. (Seth Wenig, File/AP)

The left claims to be the party of tolerance, but, in all actuality, they’re about as tolerant as my stomach on lactose. Democrats fancy themselves champions of the poor and downtrodden, constantly doing battle with those evil, racist Republicans. Yet, when it comes to conservatives, or political dissent of any sort, they make haste in assassinating the dissenter’s character. If it’s not careful, the left might inadvertently inspire a true assassination.

For many decades, Democrats, often dubbed social justice warriors, have stood up for minorities, the LGBT community and women. They preach tolerance and empathy. “Love Trumps Hate,” remember? When they go low, we go high.

Well, that’s not the case anymore. When love didn’t win them enough votes, Democrats decided to change strategy.

In June, Rep. Maxine Waters urged Democrats to harass Trump staffers whenever possible:

“[I]f you see anybody from that Cabinet in a restaurant, in a department store, at a gasoline station, you get out and you create a crowd. And you push back on them. And you tell them they’re not welcome anymore, anywhere.”

Liberals heeded the call of their leader.

Conservative commentator Tomi Lahren had water thrown on her while she was out to eat at a restaurant with her mother. DHS Secretary Kirstjen Nielson was chased out of a restaurant by activists and, several days later, had to endure a protest outside her home. “No justice, no sleep,” protestors shouted.

Trump advisor Stephen Miller was also harassed at a restaurant, with activists calling him a fascist. Liberal professors, as per usual, had joined in with one NYU professor creating a database of over 1,500 ICE employees’ personal information.

Celebrities also joined the conversation because, well, their opinions are more important than yours.

Madonna mentioned that she had “thought an awful lot about blowing up the White House.” Mickey Rourke expressed his desire for “30 seconds in a room with the little bitch [Trump].” Rosie O’Donnell shared a link to a game called “Push Trump Off A Cliff Again.” Kathy Griffin posed with a bloody, severed Trump head. Johnny Depp, during an intermission from beating his wife, wondered, “[W]hen was the last time an actor assassinated a president?”

Finally, a Bernie Sanders supporter, reportedly distraught over Trump’s victory, opened fire on the Republican congressional baseball team during a practice, shooting four and seriously wounding Rep. Steve Scalise.

Rep. Waters and the celebrities are not directly responsible for these violent acts, as they did not directly call for the violence, but their vitriolic and threatening rhetoric strikes a chord with the mentally insane among us.

They didn’t learn their lesson.

Recently, the Senate confirmed now Justice Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court, dealing yet another blow to the left’s attempts at obstructing the agenda of our sitting president. Democrats, not the most gracious of losers in the absence of a participation trophy, were stunned to find themselves losing in the White House, Congress and the Supreme Court. Like any wounded, powerless animal, prominent party leaders lashed out.

Hillary Clinton, who still hasn’t gotten the message, chimed in, “You cannot be civil with a political party that wants to destroy what you stand for.” Eric Holder, former Attorney General under President Obama, twisted Michelle Obama’s words of wisdom, saying, “[W]hen they [Republicans] go low, we [Democrats] kick them.”

Holder would not himself be responsible for any actual violence that occurs in the same way that Bernie Sanders is not culpable for one lunatic’s attempt to right democracy. I’ll tell you, though, Democrats have balls criticizing President Trump’s divisive rhetoric when they’ve gone just as low themselves.

With Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) being chased out of a restaurant by crazed liberal activists and Senators Chuck Grassley (R-IA) and Jeff Flake (R-AZ) being cornered in elevators by screaming Democrats, the harassment continues.

As Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) warned last week, “[T]here is going to be an assassination if this doesn’t ratchet down.”

I fear the worst as our political discourse flushes down the porcelain bowl. It would not surprise me in the least if someone were to make an attempt on the president during this period of heightened and politically-poisoned hostility oozing from one side in particular.

Hillary Clinton said, “civility can start again” only after Democrats retake the majority in Congress in November.

Harassment? Violent protests? Shootings? Character assassinations? Has that been civility this whole time?

Apparently so, and now the gloves are coming off.

Watch out, conservatives.

Kevin Catapano is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at kevin.catapano@uconn.edu.