Football: Eli Thomas in stable condition after suffering stroke before workout

0
0
exc-5bc54fa9ec212d1d9e76ae66

In this Aug. 30 file photo, UConn linebacker Eli Thomas raises his arms to the crowd as his team enters the field for their season-opening game against Central Florida at Rentschler Field. (Stephen Dunn, File/AP)

UConn linebacker Eli Thomas is in stable condition at the hospital after suffering a stroke prior to a weightlifting session on Oct. 10, the school said in a statement Monday.

Thomas was immediately taken to the medical center, where he is making progress towards a full recovery, the school said.

“We want to thank every single member of the UConn football staff! They have been tremendous! The love from them, and the team, has been overwhelming!” said Thomas’ mother Mary Beth Turner.

Turner went on to thank members of the UConn training staff Caitlyn VanWie and Tony Salvatore in her statement for their immediate response to prevent further injury.

A redshirt junior who transferred from Lackawanna College, Thomas got snaps in the first four games of the year before suffering a neck injury against Syracuse that has kept him on the sideline since. That was all after recovering from an ACL injury that sidelined him for the entirety of the 2017 season, the third major knee injury of his football career.

The Elmira, New York native has recorded 11 tackles, six of them for a loss, as well as a sack and a forced fumble in his 2018 campaign.

Thomas was a major part of the biggest moment in UConn’s season so far, a game-ending sack against Rhode Island that netted the Huskies’ only win of the year.

Despite the multiple setbacks in his career, Turner is faithful that Thomas will return to the field.

“To say we are stunned by this turn of events is an understatement! A strong, healthy, 22-year old man having a stroke is not anything we anticipated.” Turner said. “However, Eli will fight back as he has with every challenge that has come his way.”

Luke Swanson is a staff writer for The Daily Campus.  He can be reached via email at luke.swanson@uconn.edu.