Headline: QU hands Huskies first loss 

0
2
exc-5bc6ac2be4966bfadc09e42a

FILE- UConn’s Max Letunov carries the puck into the offensive zone during the 2017-18 season, (Jon Sammis/ The Daily Campus)

The UConn men’s hockey team dropped their first contest of the season in 4-2 fashion against in-state rival Quinnipiac University. 

The Huskies (1-0) fell behind early after Quinnipiac buried a pair of shots at the 4:22 and 6:17 marks to take a 2-0 advantage. Brand Fortunato snuck one stick side passed Adam Huska while Odeen Tufto corralled a rebounded shot for a goal.   

UConn fought back though with freshman Jonny Evans scoring his first career goal before the teams broke for the first intermission. Fellow freshman Kale Howarth was credited with the assist. 

The Bobcats (2-0) shutdown UConn’s offense in the second period as they only allowed two shots on net. Great defense lead to a 2-on-1 opportunity for Quinnipiac, that saw freshman William Fallstrom to score his first collegiate goal off a cross-ice pass, giving the Bobcats a 3-1 lead heading into the third period. 

There was a scary scene for the Huskies in the third when freshman Ruslan Iskhakov took a brutal blow from Quinnipiac’s Matthew Cassidy. Cassidy was assessed a five-minute major and a game misconduct penalty for the play. UConn was unable to capitalize on the five-minute power play. 

UConn tightened things up when they scored on their next power play. Carter Turnbull became the third player in the game to record their first-career goal when he sent back a rebounded loose puck in the slot to make it 3-2. The Huskies followed with a timeout and pulled Huska in favor of the extra skater. 

The strategy would not prevail after Fallstrom scored his second goal of the game on empty-net goal off a turnover to put the game out of reach at 4-2. 

The Bobcats outshot the Huskies 28-13 but ultimately went 0-4 on the power play. Huska racked up 24 saves in the loss. 

UConn will close out their four game, season-opening roadtrip this weekend when they open Hockey East play against Providence College Friday night at Schneider Arena in Providence, Rhode Island before a Saturday matchup with RPI.   

Kevin Arnold is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at kevin.arnold@uconn.edu.