Column: Who has it better than us? 

0
3

Mookie Betts, pours sports drink on Jackie Bradley Jr. after their 8-2 win over the Houston Astros in American League Championship Series. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip)

In shocking news, it’s a fun time to be a fan from the city of Boston.  

When is it not? I mean, historically, it’s always good to be from Boston. The city’s 37 championships in the four major sports trails just New York’s 57 (which, mind you, has two baseball teams, two football teams, two hockey teams and two basketball teams).  

But this week it’s been particularly good.  

The Patriots just knocked off the undefeated Kansas City Chiefs with a last-second field goal on Sunday Night Football to improve to 4-2, the Bruins have opened the season 4-1 and the Celtics, the favorite in Vegas to win the East, just put a 105-87 thumping on the 76ers. 

Oh yeah, and the Red Sox just secured an 8-2 win to move to a 2-1 series lead in the American League Championship Series. All of our fears and concerns surrounding the Red Sox are slowly eradicating before our very eyes. Despite shakiness from Craig Kimbrel of all people, the Red Sox bullpen has been very strong during the playoff run. Adding to the good news is the fact that David Price has finally earned his first win in the playoffs – granted the lefty allowed four runs, but a win is a win. 

It truly is a miraculous time to be a fan of Boston sports. All four sports have legitimate shots of winning their respective championships. The Bruins were given the seventh-best Stanley Cup odds before the season got underway at +1100. The Celtics sit in second behind the Golden State Warriors at +500 to take home an NBA title. 

The Patriots, even at just 4-2 right now, sit in second in the NFL with +700 odds at another Super Bowl title. The Red Sox, just two wins away from a World Series appearance, have recently had odds as good as +275 to take it home. 

So yes, Boston fans, enjoy this. Take it day by day. Nothing is promised in sports, but it seems like we’re in a pretty good spot.  

Connor Donahue is the digital editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at connor.f.donahue@uconn.edu. He tweets at @conn_donahue.