UCPD offers tips for bicycle safety

0
0

Bicycles must not be parked against or secured to hand or stair railings, public safety equipment, signs, trees and plantings, according to parking services. They also cannot block handicap accessible paths or ramps. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut police department is offering tips for students to ensure they are safe while bicycling on campus.

There have been four motor vehicle accidents involving bicycles since 2015, according to University of Connecticut Deputy Chief of Police Andrew Fournier.

Bicyclists are expected to obey the laws of pedestrians when operating on a sidewalk, according to Fournier.

“Enforcement for bicyclists is somewhat limited because it is often difficult to observe the violation or make contact with the person,” Fournier said.

Bicyclists should secure their parked bicycles to bike racks, according to the parking services website.

Bicycles must not be parked against or secured to hand or stair railings, public safety equipment, signs, trees and plantings, according to parking services. They also cannot block handicap accessible paths or ramps.

The university division of public safety also offered tips to ensure that bicyclists are safe.

According to the division of public safety, bicyclists should wear helmets, follow the rules of the road and ensure that they are visible to drivers.

Students should also take steps ensure their bicycles are locked up. There were 34 bicycles stolen at UConn in 2017 and 27 stolen in 2018, Fournier said.

“Bicycles are regulated by CT General Statutes under section 14-286a which says bicycles are expected to act as a motor vehicle when using the roadway and are required to signal turns and stop at stop signs,” Fournier said.

Ashley Anglisano is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at ashley.anglisano@uconn.edu.