Women’s Hockey: UConn draws one and drops one in trip to Massachusetts  3

0
1

Kayla Mee and Jamie Fox enter the offensive zone during a game against Merrimack on Oct. 28, 2018. (The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s hockey team crossed over the Massachusetts border this weekend to face off with Boston University and Merrimack College, both members of the Hockey East Conference. 

The Huskies (4-2-1, 2-2-1 WHEA) took the ice on Friday against BU (1-2-3, 1-2-3 WHEA) in a matchup between two of the top teams – based on points – in the Hockey East standings.  

The game didn’t provide much offense, with both teams able to muster just one goal apiece. The first goal of the match came 14 minutes into play. Sammy Davis scored for BU, assisted by Jesse Compher and Connor Calway. Prior to the goal scored, BU was unable to capitalize on its only power play of the match, putting just two shots up during the two-minute advantage.  

UConn earned four power plays on the night, the first coming with about five minutes remaining in the second period. 21 seconds later, sophomore Morgan Wabick pushed the puck through the back of the net to even the score at one. That goal would be Wabick’s fourth on the season.  

Three more power plays for the Huskies in the third period resulted in five more shots but zero goals to show for it. Time ran out between UConn and BU with the score still notched at 1-1, giving the Huskies their first tie of the season. Meanwhile, this result was nothing new for BU, as half of its games have ended with neither team being declared the winner. 

UConn then traveled cross-state to take on Merrimack (4-1-2, 1-1-1 WHEA) on Saturday afternoon. Much like their game against BU, the Huskies were unable to get much going offensively.  

The first period resulted in zero goals, with Merrimack failing to convert on two power plays. However, Merrimack would be the team to strike first, scoring its first goal with just over four minutes to go in the second period. Paige Voight was the goal scorer, assisted by Dominique Kremer and Megan Fergusson.  

More than 20 minutes of gameplay would go by with neither team able to convert any of its shots. That changed with just over three minutes in the game left, as Kate Bukolska found Jessica Bonfe for the goal to give Merrimack a 2-0 advantage.  

The Huskies, with their backs against the wall, would not go down easily. A minute after Merrimack’s second goal, sophomore Taylor Wabick for UConn found the back of the net to tighten things up at 2-1. Natalie Snodgrass and Catherine Crawley both were responsible in assisting Wabick’s goal.  

UConn showed some toughness at the end of the game, however it was unable to hold its ground, surrendering another goal with 23 seconds remaining. That goal essentially concluded UConn’s winless weekend in Massachusetts. The final score was 3-1 in Merrimack’s favor. 

The team continues play at Brown University this Tuesday at 6 p.m. in what will be a non-conference battle for the Huskies. 

Sam Newton is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at samuel.newton@uconn.edu.