Dining services to host Give a Meal tonight for hurricane relief  

0
0
exc-5bcfb82f1905f4f8481b1602

FILE- Students will once again be able to use their flex passes to aid hurricane relief efforts as part of Give a Meal night. (The Daily Campus)

Students at the University of Connecticut will be able to use one of their flex passes tonight, Oct. 24, to benefit Hurricanes Florence and Michael relief efforts, according to dining services director C. Dennis Pierce. 

Swipes are worth $2.50 (raw food cost) each towards emergency and humanitarian efforts in affected areas. Students can use the swipes from 4:15 p.m. to 7:15 p.m. at any of the eight dining halls on campus.  

In the spring 2018 semester, Give a Meal generated $6,500 towards various organizations, which is the equivalent of 2,620 donated passes. The spring 2017 event saw a total of 3,317 donated passes.

Pierce said students and volunteers will be present at all eight dining units to increase student participation.  

“The students that work with Community Outreach organize and man each one of the resident dining facilities,” Pierce said. “They then are there and encourage students to use one of their swipes.”  

Pierce said this semester’s Give a Meal event is particularly beneficial for many students and their families on campus. 

“The donations will go directly towards food to those who are in need after [Hurricanes] Florence and Michael,” Pierce said. “Many UConn students either come from that area or have family that are still struggling.” 

Taylor Harton is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at taylor.harton@uconn.edu.