Field Hockey: No. 4 UConn ends regular season with pair of wins

0
4

The Huskies finished off the regular season with two wins. The Big East Tournament will begin Nov. 2. Photo by Judah Shingleton, Staff Photographer/The Daily Campus

The UConn field hockey team capped off their season with a pair of wins in Washington D.C when they took on Georgetown and American University. The Huskies secured an undefeated season in Big East play and moved up in the rankings to No. 4.

UConn (16-3, 7-0 Big East) scored twice in the first half, the first coming from Cecile Pieper at 6:56 off of a pass from Amanda Collins.

Freshman Liz Romano found the back of the net for the first time in her collegiate career Friday afternoon. Romano took a pass from Svea Boker in front of the net at 14:36 to give the Huskies a two-goal lead.

The only Georgetown goal of the game came 26 seconds into the second half on a penalty stroke. This was the only shot attempt UConn allowed all game.

Boker lended a helping hand once again when she assisted on Collins’ goal at 57:54. Just about 10 minutes later, Maddy Wray scored the last goal of the game after Pieper found her with a pass.

UConn held an 18-1 shot advantage and led 11-1 in penalty corners en route to their 32nd straight conference victory. UConn has not lost to a Big East opponent since they lost 5-0 to Old Dominion almost exactly five years ago (10/25/13).

Pieper and Boker dominated in UConn’s matchup with American, as both players finished the game with six points. The two combined to score all of UConn’s goals.

Boker scored first after twisting and turning through the circle before firing a shot for the goal. Pieper would score twice before the half ended with Boker assisting on the first on a penalty corner. The Huskies scored all their first-half goals within the game’s first 10-and-a-half minutes.

Pieper, the redshirt senior, finished her hat trick at 46:21 in the second half off an assist from Boker. Boker capped-off the scoring for the day when she scored at the 55:34 mark.

Cheyenne Sprecher allowed a lone goal with under a minute of play remaining. The redshirt freshman made three saves in the game.

UConn outshot American 15-5 and both teams had three penalty corner opportunities.

UConn is now 9-0 on the road and finished the regular season on a four game winning streak as they prepare for the Big East tournament.

The Huskies will be the top-seed when they travel to Lynchburg, Virginia. for the Big East tournament. UConn will play fourth-seeded Villanova in the semifinals Friday afternoon at 1 p.m.

Kevin Arnold is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at kevin.arnold@uconn.edu.