Herbst responds to Pittsburgh shooting

0
0
exc-5bd7c09e24a694466008ef92

A vigil mourning the loss of the synagogue attack in Pittsburgh took place at UConn Hillel on Sunday, Oct. 28. (Luke Hajdasz/The Daily Campus)

University of Connecticut President Susan Herbst released a statement to the UConn community explaining her disappointment and calling for unity following the attack on a synagogue in Pittsburgh Saturday.

“I have written to you far too many times these past few years in the days following violence and hatred in our nation,” Herbst said. “It is painful to express our collective horror at the largest slaughter of American Jews in the history of the United States.”

The shooter, identified as 46-year-old Robert Bowers, was armed with three handguns and an AR-15 when he opened fire on the Tree of Life Congregation Synagogue Saturday.

Herbst called on the shooting to be viewed under the lens of anti-Semitism.

“We need to hold together as an active community focused on social justice, and cannot feel debilitated or worn down by the grueling, near constant acts of hatred, racism and intolerance,” Herbst said.

UConn Hillel hosted a vigil on Sunday to mourn the loss and the attack on the Jewish community. Solidarity and visibility were emphasized by event organizers, themes echoed in Herbst’s email.

Luke Hajdasz is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at luke.hajdasz@uconn.edu.