Husky Hoopla: Breaking down the Women’s starters

0
3

Napheesa Collier is UConn’s starting forward this season in a dynamic unit (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

Guard – Crystal Dangerfield 

The Tennessee native is one of three returning starters from last season. Dangerfield will now be one of the leaders of this UConn team. She was selected to the preseason All-Conference First Team after averaging 9.5 points, 3.7 assists and 3.3 rebounds per game. She reached her career high in points (24) against Stanford last season. While those numbers do not leap off the page, she was undoubtedly a valuable option on an uber-talented team. Look for her statistics to trend upward this season. 

Guard – Christyn Williams 

The 5-foot-11 freshman guard has been impressive in early season practices. Williams was the No. 1 recruit from the class of 2018 and averaged 26.8 points and 10.4 rebounds in her senior year. This past summer, Williams was a member of the 2018 U18 USA Basketball National Team that won the FIBA U18 World Cup in Mexico City. It will be crucial for the Huskies that Williams assimilates quickly into the team and culture at UConn.  

Guard/Forward – Katie Lou Samuelson 

The senior is not only one of the best players on her team but in the entire NCAA. Her three-point stroke is among the best in the country. The California native is a two-time American Athletic Conference Player of the Year, two time All-Conference First Team and she was selected as the preseason American Conference Player of the Year. Her career high in points (40) and three-pointers (10) came against USF two seasons ago. However, Samuelson will need to do even more for the team this season. The Huskies will need Samuelson to step up her defense and continue her offensive prowess. Samuelson has said she is up for the task. 

Forward – Megan Walker 

Head coach Geno Auriemma has often said that the largest growth players experience happens between their freshman and sophomore years. Walker will be playing a much bigger role on the team this season than last. As a starter, she will be getting significantly more playing time and will have to learn how to handle having much more pressure on her. Walker was the No. 1 recruit from the class of 2017 and averaged 5.8 points per game last season off of fifteen minutes of playing time.  

Forward/Center – Napheesa Collier 

This season, UConn’s offense will likely run through Collier much of the time. The versatile senior has a knack for understanding where the basket is in relation to her at all times. As a freshman, Collier was not known for her defense, but she has improved over the years. In September, Collier was invited to attend USA Basketball Senior National Team training camp in South Carolina. She is one of the top players nationwide and will need to be a leader for her team. Last season, Collier averaged 16.1 points per game and started every game for the Huskies. 

Michael Logan is the sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.logan@uconn.edu.

Mariana Dominguez is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.