Volleyball: Second verse same as the first for the Huskies this weekend

0
5
exc-5bdfb9a0562fa7a3ca990cac

UConn Volleyball celebrates during a match against UCF on Nov. 4, 2018. (Judah Shingleton/ The Daily Campus)

The UConn volleyball team hosted UCF and USF this week in their first rematches of the season. The Huskies once again fell to top-seed UCF Thursday, but were able to walk away with another win against USF Saturday.

UConn (12-14, 4-9 The American) lost in straights to the Knights (22-3, 13-0 The American) Thursday, as UCF’s red-hot offense was too much for the Huskies to handle.

Senior Iman McGary led UConn on both ends, finishing the match with a team-high 12 kills, two service aces and a season-high three blocks. Emma Turner once again led the Huskies in assists with 16, while Courtney Morris chipped in 15 assists of her own. Senior Elizabeth Kline finished the match with a season-high 26 digs, showing off her defensive prowess. In the end however, it was UCF’s McKenna Melville, who racked up another a double double with 17 kills and 11 digs, that led the Knights to victory.

The Huskies flipped the script in their Saturday matchup against USF (18-8, 7-6 The American). There were several strong contributors in the game, and it looked like the Huskies were clicking on all cylinders, winning the match in four sets.

UConn was led by freshman Caylee Parker, who tallied her ninth double double of the season ending the game with a match-high 17 kills and team-high 16 digs. McGary also racked up her first double double of the season, matching her season high in kills with 15 while adding 14 digs. Turner again led the team in assists with 27, but Morris was also a strong contributor, finishing with her first career double double, including a career high 23 assists, ten digs and four service aces, also a career high. Ally Barrett had a big game of her own, totaling a season-high nine kills against USF. Barrett was a strong offensive weapon for the Huskies last season, so they are hopeful to get more games like this one from the sophomore.

Next up for UConn is a trip to Tennessee to take on Memphis before heading to New Orleans for a rematch against Tulane. Both teams are ahead of the Huskies in conference standings.

Conner Gilson is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at connor.gilson@uconn.edu.