UConn junior found dead in Hartford Apartment

0
0

A University of Connecticut student died on Thursday, Nov. 1. Attilio Hoxha, 21, a mechanical engineering major from Worcester, Massachusetts, was found dead in his off-campus apartment in Hartford. (goodfreephotos)

A University of Connecticut student died on Thursday, Nov. 1. Attilio Hoxha, 21, a mechanical engineering major from Worcester, Massachusetts, was found dead in his off-campus apartment in Hartford. The cause of his death is currently not known to the public.

“It is devastating to lose such a promising and dynamic young man, and we want to express the University’s deepest condolences to his family and friends,” UConn spokesperson Stephanie Reitz said.

Hoxha graduated from South High School in Worcester, Massachusetts, in 2014. Hoxha then attended Quinsigamond Community College in Worcester, Massachusetts, until this semester when he transferred to UConn’s Hartford branch, Hoxha’s obituary said.

He wanted to pursue a career in the medical field after graduation and was a volunteer at Hartford Hospital, the obituary said.

Calling hours will take place on Tuesday, Nov. 6, 2018, from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. in the Mercadante Funeral Home & Chapel, 370 Plantation Street, Worcester, Massachusetts. The funeral will be held Wednesday at Our Lady of Loreto Church, Worcester, at 10 a.m.

UConn said it is committed to student’s needs during this time.

“Counseling and Mental Health Services (CMHS) is available to provide support to the Storrs campus community at this time of loss,” a statement released in the Daily Digest said. “The Dean of Students office located on the 2nd floor of Wilbur Cross is available to assist students struggling with the loss of their classmate.”

Luke Hajdasz is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at luke.hajdasz@uconn.edu.